“Authentic & delicious”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Huron
Reviewed 5 July 2015 via mobile

Excellent and authentic Japanese restaurant. Ordered the soba and that came with the sobayu so you know it's legit. Their dessert, black sesame pudding, was homemade and just flat out delicious.

My brother ordered Nabeyashi Ramen and he loved it.

1  Thank Gabriel L

Reviewed 12 April 2015

Stumbled upon this restaurant, so decided to try it. We liked the ambience, and the specials menu had many interesting items hard to find in many other restaurants. I was so excited. They also have some nice sake choices. The wait staff was very friendly and helpful. The first sake (most expensive) was quite good. The second came in a bottle already opened - he made believe he was opening it, but there was no broken cap edge - that was disconcerting. Probably a refilled bottle. Also, I know this bottle, and the lid wasn't a match. That was upsetting. Backing up, the shishamo was perhaps the best I have had outside of Japan. Actually (really!) grilled and not deep fried. Yummy. The shiokara was also one of the most delicious I have had. The welk was wonderful, too The pork belly was a bit overcooked and dry. The scallops sashimi were also quite good. It was a little disappointing to have only fake wasabi. Things went down hill with some of the latter items. The ika-natto was somewhat tasteless. The special of aji sashimi tasted "old" as if perhaps thawed and refrozen. We couldn't finish it. It should be off the menu. I suppose if one knows (or I remember) what to get, it could all be good. Some items just weren't - disappointing.

Reviewed 7 April 2015

The wafting smell of katsu-curry that goes by tells you that this is Japanese comfort food, the sound of the Japanese students and businessmen eating there testifies that this is what most Japanese expect. It's not luxurious, just well executed - Sashimi and sushi well prepared, check with the waittress what has just recently arrived for the best, lots of typical Japanese appetizers available, don't be shy about asking what something is (or what others are eating). Grilled fish choices are wide, noodles, rice steamed baskets (seiro) which is not typical in my area of Japan, but a nice change. Recommended if you are in the area - great for lunch.

Reviewed 15 February 2015 via mobile

Great Japanese food!
Don't let the outside fool you.
This is a excellent place for sushi and noodles.
We were 8 people incl 4 children.
They took good care of us and gave us attention and guiding in the world of sushi.
Yammi fried squid in garlic as a starter to share was a good start!
The sushi was made by a professional sushi chef, we could tell.
Great place with an informal and great atmosphere.
Would go back!

Reviewed 20 October 2014

I have been here a couple times since my last review. This last time I got the NABEYAKI UDON and it was awesome. $15 bucks is steep for lunch but this was a huge bowl of noodles and everything else. This could be shared with someone with some sushi for a great lunch. I got about 3/4 of the way through it but half would have been enough. The broth was wonderful and everything in it was cooked perfect. The bento boxes are a lot of food if you like some variety at lunch that's a good choice. I asked for green tea with my noodles and they brought all three of us tea even though they didn't order it. When my coworker asked they said it was complimentary. Not sure if that is always the case.