“A German Oktoberfest in Chicago”
Review of Chicago Brauhaus

Chicago Brauhaus
Ranked #824 of 10,821 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Lincoln Square
Description: Welcome to the Chicago Brauhaus For over 40 years we have been serving up good cheer in Chicago's Lincoln Square Neighborhood. We offer a friendly Bavarian atmosphere where friends and family of all ages can enjoy a good meal, a stein of cold beer and dance along to the sounds of the world famous Brauhaus Trio. It is always Oktoberfest at the Chicago Brauhaus. We hope to see you soon! Your Hosts Harry and Guenter Kempf
Reviewed 11 May 2016

I am English and my wife is Italian so it doesn't figure that we'd be dining at a German restaurant. But Chicago is a mixed bag of virtually every ethnic group you can think of so we have decided to visit restaurants of every kind, from Italian to French to British to German to Asian to Thai to Mexican. Everything but sushi. You have to draw a line somewhere. We chose Chicago Brauhaus at 4732 North Lincoln Avenue in Lincoln Square because it is rated among the best German restaurants, if not the best, in the city. Hosts Harry and Guenter Kempf have been in business for over 40 years. They offer a stein of cold Bavarian beer (is there any brand better?) and serve traditional German specialties and Bavarian fare in a family-friendly Oktoberfest setting with the famous Brauhaus trio and German bands and polka music and dancing in an Old World atmosphere. I'll admit that I'm not at all familiar with German cuisine but the more I taste, the more I like, especially Lachsbrot (smoked salmon on toast with egg, onions and caviar garnish) and a bowl of hearty beef goulash soup for appetizers, fried shrimp and scallops, Eisbein mit Sauerkraut (boiled pork shank served with sauerkraut and potato), Schweine Schnitzel (pork loin cutlet breaded and fried, served with apple sauce, potato and vegetable) and Wiener Schnitzel (Vienna style cutlet breaded and fried and served with potato and vegetable) for entrees and Black Forest cake for dessert. Our dinner choices were mostly traditional. After scanning the menu, I plan to order Konigsberger Klopse (veal and beef meatballs in a white caper sauce and potato) or Rindsroulade (beef rouladen, thin sliced sirloin of beef rolled with mustard, bacon, onions and pickle, slowly braised and served with spatzle or potato dumplings and red cabbage). This is the kind of place you can enjoy getting to know.

Date of visit: May 2016
1  Thank Taylor B

Reviewed 13 April 2016 via mobile

Neat little trinkets and what not, polka music was playing. I ordered a very large beer and the porkshank which was delicious. Seemed pretty traditional, with food a decor.

Date of visit: October 2015
1  Thank GlobeTrotting622789
Reviewed 9 April 2016

This was the highlight of my weekend trip to Chicago!! I spent 20 years in Germany(my wife is German) and this place put a smile on her face the likes of which I haven't seen for a long time!! It was like stepping back into a good old fashioned German establishment!! I reserved 3 weeks out with a party of six. But by the time I made it,there were only 3 of us! Trust me,they had NO PROBLEM filling the vacancies we left. There were people standing on the dance floor just waiting to be seated! Our waitress Kris was a gem!!! We absolutely loved her!! The whole atmosphere was like a big Oktoberfest party! We met some wonderful fellow diners,some who have been going there for many years!! I would have liked to have tried all of their dishes,but I chose the baked ducked,which was scrumptious!! My wife and cousin had the rouladen,which I thought was a little skimpy,but they were quite tasty! I decided not to drive that evening as well,which was a good thing,as I decided to buy their infamous Boot of Beer!! Had to relinquish my credit card as deposit for the boot,but it was well worth it!! I definitely plan to visit again!!!

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed 9 April 2016

We enjoyed a fine dinner and evening at the Chicago Brauhaus as a group of five. The atmosphere was lively and inviting with music, dancing and a carefree mix of diners. The food was excellent. The roast duck could not have been better. The cost was very reasonable. Everyone in our group will place this on their "Must return list"

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed 15 March 2016

Went for lunch because we saw this restaurant on an episode of Diners, Drive-In's, and Dives and wanted to try it. Very good food! service was wonderful, everyone including the owner was very friendly. Food came out quick and hot! My boyfriend is German and said how the food was just like how his Oma made when he was younger. Would definitely go back again. Prices were also reasonable

Date of visit: March 2016