“Excellent place with excellent people working there!”

The Guesthouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 16 October 2017

It had lots of charm and class. So did the people that worked there! From the time I first called and spoke to Jo and Rosemary to book our trip, everyone was so attentive, and excited about our coming there. They really take pride in working there. If you visit, you will see why. From the cleaning ladies and their happy moods and friendly way, to Victoria, just full of information at the front desk, and the manager Rick, who made our stay there so special. So comfortable and clean with a full kitchen! It was like our own apartment in Chicago! Such a great memorable stay...Loved it!

Room Tip: 2 bed, 2 bath with full kitchen, amazing! Not that much more than the 1 bed
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Thanks Holly K!
It was a pleasure meeting you and I am so delighted you enjoyed everything! I am blessed with a great team and we do all take pride in what we do...making our guests happy! I'm glad this was evident during your visit and so appreciate all the kind words.
Thanks for posting this excellent review and we all look forward to your return!

Reviewed 15 October 2017

The Guesthouse Hotel is a hidden gem in a fantastic city. Our group of eleven could not have done better in many respects including staff, space, price, décor and kitchen suite. It did make the location, view across from a cemetery, area noise and lack of on-site bar/restaurant pale in comparison although a concern at first. The hotel is impressive with a rooftop area for guests to gather, a small but adequate work out area, gift shop and library with computer/printer. Although not of concern for us it is pet friendly and they have a welcoming dish of food and water. The 3- bedroom suites are spacious, spacious (can I repeat), spotless and come with a culinary delight of a kitchen (supplied with first class dishes, utensils and glasses for ten) Canadians might suggest or could purchase a teapot for future guests. The jewel in the crown is the staff and owners. They not only exude but capture competence, business acumen and clients because they are accommodating, sensitive, proactive and can find your reservation and keep you updated in a second. We originally made a reservation for 2016 marathon and ended up postponing until 2017 due to a cancer diagnosis. We wanted to be able to gather together and celebrate and the hotel credited us back our original deposit and allowed the postponement. They also had complimentary cookies, refreshments and snacks for athletes. We could not be happier with the outcome.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Thanks Carole O!
It was such a pleasure meeting all of you and thanks for taking time to post this "gem" of a review! I am so glad we could re-schedule your trip to Chicago for the Marathon and happy you enjoyed the suites and all the amenities. Sorry if we overlooked the tea kettle as there should have been one in your suite. I'm so fortunate to have a team that love what they do and delighted they took good care of you and your group!
Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and I hope we see you back soon! 2018 Chicago Marathon, perhaps?!

Reviewed 30 August 2017

A previous reviewer mentioned that she would give this place 10 stars if she could - I absolutely echo that!

I experienced The Guesthouse Hotel in two ways - I threw a party there, and friends and family have stayed there twice on my recommendation. I'll be sending as many people as I can there!

The rooms are gorgeous, and really more like full apartments. My family and friends, including one who's on the road ~150 days a year, were blown away. Clean, comfortable, huge...just perfect.

As for the neighborhood: yes, the location is a 15-20 minute drive downtown, but as I live in the neighborhood, I'm partial to it :-) Honestly, Andersonville has the best bars, restaurants, and small shops in the city. Try Bar Roma for top-notch Italian, Svea Restaurant for a hearty breakfast with Swedish specialties, and Simon's Tavern for strong drinks and the best jukebox in the city.

And this might not apply to most travelers, but I threw a birthday party here and could not have been happier with the experience. Veronica was an unbelievable partner in helping to pull everything together, and nearly every single guest commented on the beautiful, comfortable space, including the gorgeous roof deck. It was a night we'll never forget.

So yes, again - I'd give this place ten stars if I could!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2017

WOW! Thank you for this A+ review! We so appreciate all the kinds words and can't thank you enough for recommending us to your friends and family! Our Veronica is a gem and I'm glad she was able to help with the details of your party to make it a memorable one. Thanks for giving a shout out to some of our favorite neighborhood places to eat and drink. We think the neighborhood is pretty special, too!
Thanks again for choosing to celebrate at The Guesthouse Hotel and I look forward to welcoming your friends and family again!

Reviewed 21 August 2017

We had a generally nice stay at the hotel. As others have said, if you really need the extra space, this is the trade-off of being further from the museums, tourist destinations etc. The Vietnamese community nearby had excellent restaurants. Having a washer/dryer is also great. The fitness center is very limited in its equipment and in a very small room--in case that is important to some. The staff was very attentive and responsive. I imagine that unless you stay on the top floor, the noise of upstairs neighbors walking above your unit is always an issue--it definitely disturbed our sleep. The walls are very thin. Our unit was also next to the elevator so the noise from that also kept us up. Check in at 4 and check out at 10 makes for an expensive and shortened night, however, they will store your luggage and housekeeping must really need the 6 hours to clean since the apartment was spotless. And, of course, being across the street from the Catholic cemetery might also be a deal breaker for some.

Room Tip: Top floor unit
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm delighted you discovered The Guesthouse Hotel and were able to enjoy our special part of Chicago! I am glad you enjoyed the amenities of your suite and found our team attentive and helpful. I'm sorry to hear your neighbors were noisy and disturbed what should have been a peaceful night for you. I hope we get the chance to make it up to you with another stay. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope we see you again so we can earn that 5th star.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

I love this hotel!!!!!!!! My husband, friends, and their children arrived as last-minute refugees from a disastrous Airbnb fail, and the minute we walked into the lobby and were greeted so warmly at reception, we all let out a huge sigh of relief. So first things first, I always like to say something about the area that a hotel is in because location is important. I like to walk everywhere so safety and convenience are important. The hotel is in a fantastic location, walking distance to many amazing places to eat and drink in a wide range of price-points, from very affordable family-run amazing Mexican food, to fancy spots with intriguing menus. The L is walking distance. The hotel has covered parking.

We were four adults an active toddler and a baby, and got a two bedroom apartment style place with very comfortable furniture, full modern kitchen a large master suite and a good size second bedroom with shared bath. A couple of cozy chairs and a big comfy couch allowed all of us to be comfortable hanging out in the evening playing with the kids after dinner. The hotel provided a pack and play, and even had a collection of baby needs, from spoons to sippy cups etc. somehow everything was magically childproofed. If we had made a wish list of our unique and diverse wishes for a hotel, The Guesthouse had already thought of everything plus a few things we didn't know we needed until we needed them.

Although the hotel was perfect for our needs traveling with littles, I would happily stay here again the next time I'm in Chicago, for any occasion. They've managed to perfectly bridge the gap between comfort and luxury and I can't really recommend The Guesthouse Hotel highly enough. From service, (above and beyond) to comfort (luxury features that are cozy at the core), this place approaches perfection. It doesn't have a swimming pool though. But it's just as well because TripAdvisor doesn't have a 10 star option. ;-)

Stayed: October 2016
1  Thank Siobhan D
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Thanks Siobhan D! I really appreciate all the kind words and so glad you enjoyed everything! There's nothing worse than making plans to get away and your accommodations end up being "disastrous." We're delighted we could come to the rescue! Thanks for taking time to mention all the details in your suite and the service you received from our team. We work hard to make our guests feel special and hopefully exceed expectations. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon! While we can't offer a dip in the pool, Lake Michigan is just a mile away! :-)