“Can't Even Keep Regular Hours”
Review of Hema's Kitchen

Hema's Kitchen
Ranked #2,963 of 10,734 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 15 September 2016

Had friends coming into town from Wisconsin and made plans to get lunch on Devon. As the local, I was tasked with choosing the restaurant. Not knowing the options well myself, I googled the night before and found Hema's Kitchen. Comments online sounded good. Listing said they opened at noon. Called them anyway to make sure they were open for lunch the day we were going and was told they were. Made plans with friends to meet there. Arrived at 12:15. Door locked. Knocked on glass, no answer. Called the number again and got an answer, but was told we had to wait outside, they'd be open in 15-30 minutes. Embarrassed. We went elsewhere. I have no clue if their food is any good or not, but have no intention of ever going back to find out.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

The food is decent, but the wait times are indescribable. Also it's not first come, first served...A large table who came in after us was served first. Not good. The service was laconic at best, and the kitchen is clearly overwhelmed. I was in there on a busy night over the Labor Day Holiday and we waited over 40 minutes for any food, and then everything arrived together. No appetizers first, just all of it in one go. It's good food, tasty, but I've had better. I can't bear the hideous long wait so I won't be back or plan to order on Grubhub and wait 2 hours. Don't bother going, there is zero ambiance.

Reviewed 4 April 2016

Suggested years ago to a friend by an Indian friend, this seems to be one of the best on this section of Devon. Even WTTW Channel 11 agrees. Hema makes sure everything is "home-made" just like for her own family. Ours was great and I'm sure other dishes are. Reasonable price. Parking difficult in the area.

Reviewed 7 March 2016 via mobile

It was late Saturday night but it didn't feel like we were not welcome. Seated immediately order taken right away and food was was delivered quickly. Food was hot(temperature and taste) and very tasty. Will be back...for sure

Reviewed 28 February 2016 via mobile

We met six of our friends here and had a wonderful time. We started with appetizers which were all wonderful. The main dishes were great as well as the nan. It's a BYO place so keep that in mind.

Been to Hema's Kitchen? Share your experiences!