“Chicago Elevated--always great for a fun and interesting view of the city!”
Review of Chicago Elevated

Chicago Pedway Walking Tour
Ranked #16 of 183 Tours in Chicago
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: If you're looking for a Chicago walking tour that is fun, inspiring and inexpensive, you are looking at the right place! I'm Margaret, 10-year veteran tour guide, comedian and your personal insider to this awesome city. My 20-year improv experience guarantees that you will get a tour that is entertaining, full of awesome stories and info and not your average scripted recitation. I work hard to make sure my facts are spot on and I promise you I've never given the same tour twice, each group has it's own personality. I keep my groups small and my ideas BIG. Check out my site for more tours and let me know if you have any questions about your trip to Chicago! (Oooh, you can do a private tour too! Just ask!)
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I have taken several tours with Chicago Elevated and I always leave looking forward to the next one! Owner, Margaret Hicks, is a font of fun and interesting tidbits about the city. She presents the facts and stories surrounding the buildings and other noted features in a way that is always both informative and entertaining. I have also been impressed with how attentive she is to the needs of the individuals in her groups. As a person with a disability, it means a lot that Margaret takes care to ensure my safety and ability to fully participate in her tours and the discussions that always arise along the way. I highly recommend Margaret and Chicago Elevated and am looking forward to more tours in 2012!

1  Thank Kerry O
There are newer reviews for Chicago Elevated

Reviewed 29 November 2011

Margaret made the tour of the Pedway a fascinating experience. Her knowledge of the city's history as well as the twists and turns of the Pedway was exceptional. Our family group had both Chicago residents and out-of-towners and we all enjoyed ourselves and learned lots. Well worth the time and money!

2  Thank nfldroamer
Reviewed 28 November 2011

A group of 8 friends were in Chicago for a 40th birthday celebration weekend, so needless to say we were a bit of a rowdy bunch, and Margaret handled our shenanigans with ease and humor. She is informative and really knows her stuff, but more importantly she is easy going, funny and warm. We took her architectural tour, which started outside of our hotel on the river across from the Trump tower. Margaret gave us the historical context of post-great fire rebuilding of Chicago and the proliferation of the city's skyscrapers, then it was into the Loop and some of the older (Marshall Field's building, the old Carson Scott Pririe department store) and newer constructions, bits about the architects, city planners, politicians, corruption and politicking.

We arranged for a two hour walking tour and at the end of those two hours none of us wanted it to end! I have been to Chicago many times and love the city, but Margaret's tour has made me appreciate and love the city even more. I can't recommend her tours enough!

1  Thank Todd R
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Our first tour was the Pedway tour. Most of us didn't even know it existed. Our group of "senior" girls had so much fun and learned a lot from Margaret about the under and upper wallkways of the City. Sooo, we booked anoth tour. This time we did the Architectual Tour with Margaret. She is so knowledgable, energetic and fun - we love her. She makes the City come alive. Each tour is an easy 90 minute walk with some stairs but very doable for most people. Margaret discribes in a fun way the original use of each building and the current use. She knows her architectual styles, too. She includes bathroom breaks if necessary and when the tour ends she directed us to some very good restaurants in the area. This group of recycled teens will be back for another tour.

1  Thank Toni T
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We took the "Disaster" tour on labor day weekend with our 2 teenagers. Margaret was energetic and engaging and had just the kinds of stories that held the kids' interest. When Margaret referenced the "red light" tour she'd be giving later that day, my daughter asked me if we could go on that tour as well. So we ended up taking 2 tours in one day. Each of us had our favorite tour, but we all really enjoyed them both. It was a great way to learn about some of the architecture and history that has formed Chicago's personality. Margaret is a great guide, and if we're in Chicago again, we'd definitely go on another of her tours. Highly recommended!

2  Thank jjpgm