“a night to remember”

Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I went to Ruxbin last fall for my birthday. We got there around 5:30 and had no wait for a table (though the restaurant was getting crowded already).
Appetizers, main dish, dessert. All was amazing! Its worth every penny.
The atmosphere was fun and we shared food/wine (its BYOB) with the tables next to us. (we were sitting rather close to them).

Also must check out the cool bathroom!
If you're a Chicago native or a visitor this place is a must!

2  Thank Heather G

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Ruxbin is simply the best new (not so new anymore) restaurant in Chicago. Every course for each in my party was outstanding, and some of it, the best of that particular food that I've ever had. The chef is a master of flavors -- every bite is sensational. And for such gourmet cuisine, the pricing is moderate. Only downside is that they don't take reservations so it can be hard to get in. But if you go on a weeknight or at an off-hour, and don't mind a short wait, you will not be disappointed. (It is BYOB.)

1  Thank TravelLover23456
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We went to Ruxbin to celebrate a special occasion and we don't regret it!
I loved every single detail, the food is delicious!
We tried the

- Mushroom Toast *****
- Calamari *****

For main dish we had

- Bucatini & Clams **** (I'm not a huge fan of spaghetti, but it was very well cooked)
- Pork Shoulder *****
- Lamb *****
- Hanger Steak*****

We had three deserts and they were all terrific!
panna cotta, pie with gorgonzolla ice cream and pie with gouda ice cream, all DELICIOUS!

The staff is very nice and helpful!

Reviewed 16 January 2012

I am hesitant to give too good of a review since Ruxbin does not take reservations and I want to keep going back without long waits. Fantastic food, friendly and unpretentious service, and a quaint interior. Oh, and BYOB. Go.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Ate at Ruxbin for my first time last night. It was fantastic!

The food:
I had the calamari and mushroom etouffee. Both were incredible - definitely a strong Asian influence. The calamari came with three thin slices of potato that might have been my favorite thing all night. The texture was out of this world - almost cheese-like. The bread with the mushroom etouffee was excellent as was the sauce. We finished with the panna cotta, and it too was great. Had heard more about the short cake, but I highly recommend the panna cotta. Again, Asian influenced with lime and coconut.

The decor:
Absolutely deserves Eater's "Best Bathroom" award. The entrance to the bathroom is mysterious and worth a trip to Ruxbin in and of itself. The dining room decor is reclaimed industrial, but warm.

Service:
Spot on and always appreciate it when the chef comes out to greet all of the tables, which he did without anyone asking as far as I could tell. At least I know he came to our table to check in without us having asked.

I will be back!!!

Been to Ruxbin Kitchen? Share your experiences!