“European gem!”

Cuisines: European
Neighbourhood: West Loop
Neighbourhood: West Loop
Reviewed 17 October 2016

We were walking near Union Station for a train arrival. On the way, we saw the entrance to the FRENCH MARKET. I had no idea this even existed in Chicago! It was a delight to wander around...dreaming of our next family trip to France, this coming summer. The bakery called: "Vanille" had OUT OF THIS WORLD deserts. There are nice bistro tables in the back of the market to sit and eat all the delicacies. Don't miss this place. It's a perfect place for locals, as well as tourists. The only problem is you will now HAVE TO plan a trip to France after sampling all the food!

1  Thank Jody A

Reviewed 12 October 2016

We had an afternoon train out of union station and needed a few alcoholic provisions that CVS couldn't satisfy. we were wandering around and stumbled into this absolutely perfect market. it really is like a french market. lots of different offerings. It was really fun to walk around (ok, shuffle around because it is really crowded at lunch). and we got our special vermouth at a little wine/cheese shop on the Clinton side of the market.

great place to go if you are provisioning for a train or if you need a coffee or croissant or a hundred other little things.

1  Thank abearfellow
Reviewed 10 October 2016

For many years I always walked by the French market because I thought it was merely a glorified supermarket. Then one day I decided to walk inside, and was stunned at how much more they had. I have tried food from 10-15 of the vendors, and always had something good. My daughter LOVES the macaroons from Vanille. I like to try something different each time (although I keep coming back to those Belgian fries!). This past weekend we went to Fumare for a Montreal pastrami sandwich. My son, age 17, could not get enough of it, and declared it "The best sandwich I have ever had." About 30 seconds later, the owner or manager came over to ask what he thought. I had my son repeat his comment. Fumare is is the back corner of the market, but definitely worth it, as are all the other places.

1  Thank TheHoff44
Reviewed 3 October 2016

This was our first visit to the French Market, being introduced by a friend who works nearby. Something for everyone, even my picky-eating teenager.

We had yummy pulled pork sandwiches and an absolute divine mac and cheese from Lillie’s Q. Staff member was very friendly and chatted while preparing our food.

A great option for families with each person wanting something different to eat. And fun just to explore through.

1  Thank jendon
Reviewed 17 September 2016 via mobile

This place is awesome! I love the vibe of the market and the many food selections. From the lobster roll stand to the French deli stand to the great fry spot, EVERY tourist to downtown Chicago should stop through and experience the liveliness of the market. It's like a scene from an action movie where during the lunch rush the bad guy slips into the crowd and gets lost, while the good guys move through frantically searching from food vendor to food vendor before acknowledging defeat! A it much, I know, but it's wonderful.

1  Thank Tasha T