2,960 results
All reviews wine hour sable restaurant wine reception animal print robes complimentary wine yoga mat rooftop terrace floor to ceiling windows front desk staff north area one bedroom suite indoor pool top floor the river corner room state street mini bar
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

I love the Kimpton brand, and remain grateful IHG have let them be. The Palomar Chicago doesn't let the brand down, it could just improve in some areas to reach the excellent category.
When in Chicago I usually stay at the Monaco, in this occasion I decided to change for a better gym and a pool. Ironically I didn't use the pool! The location is superb, being just North of the river met my needs perfectly. The room was large and comfortable, with all the amenities required, and cleaned well daily.
The areas for improvement are: make sure the television works in all weather. Whenever it rained there was no signal. The staff were generally polite and welcoming, however, there were one or two in front desk who could be more engaging. This next one is more of a challenge, my room in the 7th floor was noisy. I would be woken up by cars honking in the middle of night. It was also extremely annoying when only one lift was working on a busy Monday morning, servicing should be carried out a more convenient, less disruptive time.
A nice touch was the bottle of wine and dry fruits delivered to my room on the last night. Very unexpected, extremely appreciated. I will give the Palomar another go, the brand is fantastic after all.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Pedro V, Front Office Supervisor at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2017

Hi AnthonyDB,

Thank you for taking the time to rate your stay with us and don't worry the Kimpton brand isn't going anywhere! I agree that we do have a pretty awesome location and I'm glad you enjoyed the wine! I apologize for the issues you had with the TV while it is raining but our engineering team has been working very hard to try and fix this issue. We hope to see you again soon!

Warmest Regards,

Pedro V.
Front Office Supervisor

Reviewed 9 October 2017

My friend and I stayed at the Kimpton Palomar for a girls weekend getaway.

Upon check-in, the front desk agent was very friendly. We had called a couple of weeks before to request two beds but when we arrived at our room we saw we had a King. So we headed back down to see if we could get the two beds and the man who dealt with us was a bit rude. He told us we needed to call ahead and that it wasn't guaranteed. We advised him we did and we realized it was not guaranteed. He did end up having a room but we could have done without the scolding. He was nicer to us over the next 3 days we were at the hotel but didn't appreciate his tone with us (not a great first impression).

The hotel was in a great location. Close to shops, restaurants and attractions.

The hotel had a great rooftop (which we enjoyed one night with other guests) and a nice pool.

It would have been nice to be told upon check-in about the tea/coffee station in the parlour room off of the front lobby. We didn't discover this until our last day. The front desk was kind in filling up our water bottles each day (it was a hot weekend in Chicago).

A few things we wished this hotel had were:

*Coffee / Tea machine
*Luggage rack

They did have a sign in the bathroom indicating all the amenities they could provide if you called the front desk (which was a lot).

I would not consider this a luxury hotel but would stay at this hotel again if visiting the Chicago area.

Room Tip: Higher floor, city view
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Julian B, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2017

Hi YTOGIRL,
Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback on your most recent stay with us. Glad to hear that overall your girls' weekend went well but I did want to apologize regarding the confusion with your reservation and staff. We will definitely take this into consideration in order to improve our services and surely not the level of service we wish to portray. Always let us know if we can do anything to enhance your experience. Although we do not have coffee/tea makers and luggage racks in the rooms we can always provide upon request. I do agree though our location is super convenient and close to some of the best Chicago has to offer. Hope we can have you back again for an even better stay!

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

This was my 6th trip to Chicago, but first time staying at the Palomar and it definitely will not be my last time.

I came to Chicago to run the marathon, in the past I have always stayed at the Marriott around the corner, but I found a great rate on booking.com so thought I would try it out and what a lovely surprise I got as well.

The hotel was actually located closer to places that I needed to access such as the grocery store on the next block. This helped me heaps in my marathon prep. It is also not as busy as the Marriott so it feels a lot more personal.

The hotel itself is lovely. The rooms are normal size for what I have found in the US. Lovely and clean. There is a bathtub as well which I needed particularly after the race!

There are free drinks downstairs in the lobby but I did not attend. The wifi is free if you are a Kimpton Karma rewards holder, it seriously only takes a couple of minutes to join but so well worth it!

The one thing that I did find frustrating were the lifts during peak times. Only two go to the rooms and are not enough to cope with full capacity of the hotel.

The staff are also ultra friendly and I look forward to coming back next year!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo

Hi Jo M,
Thanks for taking the time to give us a fantastic 5-star review! Glad to hear the marathon went well! It is always a treat to see the runners right in front of our doors as it brings the city and travelers from all over the world. I was happy to hear that our staff was able to warmly welcome you in and congrats again on the race! Hope we can have you back for the next one.

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

A friend & I went to Chicago for a few days at the end of July to see the city & take in a Cubs game. The Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago was everything we expected. The doormen & front desk staff were kind & welcoming, & our room was ready when we arrived. We stayed in a king spa premier room which was lovely & clean. The bed was comfy as well as the sofa, & the bathroom was glorious. I wanted to take the deep soaker spa tub & the gigantic shower home with me! The doormen were happy to store our bags the day of our departure as we had an afternoon flight & wanted to explore more of the city. I would gladly stay here again!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi Rebekah C,
Thanks for taking the time to give us a wonderful 5-star rating! Glad to hear you enjoyed your time and the game especially, GO Cubbies! I will also share you kind words about our staff as I am sure they will appreciate. I agree the King Spa Premier rooms are definitely a treat to relax in. Hope we can have you back again soon!

Reviewed 4 October 2017

I stayed at the Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago last week. It was my first visit to Chicago and as many of the other reviews mention, this hotel is in a fabulous location. It is footsteps from the metro, great eats, movie theatre, and the Magnificent Mile.

The hotel is clean, the staff is friendly and it was an overall pleasant stay. However, it's ratings suggest a 4 to 5-star hotel experience which it is not. If I had to categorize the hotel, it is an updated boutique hotel. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and spacious with simple, neutral decor but the beds are overdue for replacement. I woke up with a sore lower back every morning for the first few hours.

The amenities are just not up to par with a high rating. Yes, there is a sign stating many toiletries: shower cap, toothbrush, toothpaste, lip balm etc are available, but you must call the front desk as the items are not stocked/supplied in the room. Other missing items: luggage rack, coffee/tea/Keurig, slippers. Also, if I were to get super picky, the linens and towels were also a little worn and not to the standard one would expect.

The elevator also appears worn and could use a little facelift and oiling. It actually sounds like a train is running up and down the elevator shaft. I would strongly discourage getting a room anywhere near the elevators as you will undoubtedly hear it pass through all night long.

I did use the fitness room twice during my stay. It is conveniently available 24/7. It is a typical hotel fitness area with a city view. The machines were available every time I went and only 1 treadmill was in need of service. It is enough to get the job done with towels and water cooler in the room as well as a lap pool next door.

I know I had a lot of negative things to say about the hotel but it actually was a pleasant stay. I just don't feel the reviews and star rating are congruent with the actual experience and therefore, slightly misleading. It was perfect for my stay and more than enough for anyone on a business or weekend trip. You will not have a bad stay at this hotel but I recommend being judicious when comparing hotels in terms of cost, rating, and desired experience.

Stayed: September 2017