2,945 results
All reviewswine hoursable restaurantwine receptionanimal print robescomplimentary wineyoga matrooftop terracefloor to ceiling windowsfront desk staffnorth areaone bedroom suiteindoor pooltop floorthe rivercorner roomstate streetmini bar
Reviewed 9 October 2017

My friend and I stayed at the Kimpton Palomar for a girls weekend getaway.

Upon check-in, the front desk agent was very friendly. We had called a couple of weeks before to request two beds but when we arrived at our room we saw we had a King. So we headed back down to see if we could get the two beds and the man who dealt with us was a bit rude. He told us we needed to call ahead and that it wasn't guaranteed. We advised him we did and we realized it was not guaranteed. He did end up having a room but we could have done without the scolding. He was nicer to us over the next 3 days we were at the hotel but didn't appreciate his tone with us (not a great first impression).

The hotel was in a great location. Close to shops, restaurants and attractions.

The hotel had a great rooftop (which we enjoyed one night with other guests) and a nice pool.

It would have been nice to be told upon check-in about the tea/coffee station in the parlour room off of the front lobby. We didn't discover this until our last day. The front desk was kind in filling up our water bottles each day (it was a hot weekend in Chicago).

A few things we wished this hotel had were:

*Coffee / Tea machine
*Luggage rack

They did have a sign in the bathroom indicating all the amenities they could provide if you called the front desk (which was a lot).

I would not consider this a luxury hotel but would stay at this hotel again if visiting the Chicago area.

Room Tip: Higher floor, city view
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Julian B, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2017

Hi YTOGIRL,
Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback on your most recent stay with us. Glad to hear that overall your girls' weekend went well but I did want to apologize regarding the confusion with your reservation and staff. We will definitely take this into consideration in order to improve our services and surely not the level of service we wish to portray. Always let us know if we can do anything to enhance your experience. Although we do not have coffee/tea makers and luggage racks in the rooms we can always provide upon request. I do agree though our location is super convenient and close to some of the best Chicago has to offer. Hope we can have you back again for an even better stay!

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

This was my 6th trip to Chicago, but first time staying at the Palomar and it definitely will not be my last time.

I came to Chicago to run the marathon, in the past I have always stayed at the Marriott around the corner, but I found a great rate on booking.com so thought I would try it out and what a lovely surprise I got as well.

The hotel was actually located closer to places that I needed to access such as the grocery store on the next block. This helped me heaps in my marathon prep. It is also not as busy as the Marriott so it feels a lot more personal.

The hotel itself is lovely. The rooms are normal size for what I have found in the US. Lovely and clean. There is a bathtub as well which I needed particularly after the race!

There are free drinks downstairs in the lobby but I did not attend. The wifi is free if you are a Kimpton Karma rewards holder, it seriously only takes a couple of minutes to join but so well worth it!

The one thing that I did find frustrating were the lifts during peak times. Only two go to the rooms and are not enough to cope with full capacity of the hotel.

The staff are also ultra friendly and I look forward to coming back next year!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo

Hi Jo M,
Thanks for taking the time to give us a fantastic 5-star review! Glad to hear the marathon went well! It is always a treat to see the runners right in front of our doors as it brings the city and travelers from all over the world. I was happy to hear that our staff was able to warmly welcome you in and congrats again on the race! Hope we can have you back for the next one.

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

A friend & I went to Chicago for a few days at the end of July to see the city & take in a Cubs game. The Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago was everything we expected. The doormen & front desk staff were kind & welcoming, & our room was ready when we arrived. We stayed in a king spa premier room which was lovely & clean. The bed was comfy as well as the sofa, & the bathroom was glorious. I wanted to take the deep soaker spa tub & the gigantic shower home with me! The doormen were happy to store our bags the day of our departure as we had an afternoon flight & wanted to explore more of the city. I would gladly stay here again!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi Rebekah C,
Thanks for taking the time to give us a wonderful 5-star rating! Glad to hear you enjoyed your time and the game especially, GO Cubbies! I will also share you kind words about our staff as I am sure they will appreciate. I agree the King Spa Premier rooms are definitely a treat to relax in. Hope we can have you back again soon!

Reviewed 4 October 2017

I stayed at the Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago last week. It was my first visit to Chicago and as many of the other reviews mention, this hotel is in a fabulous location. It is footsteps from the metro, great eats, movie theatre, and the Magnificent Mile.

The hotel is clean, the staff is friendly and it was an overall pleasant stay. However, it's ratings suggest a 4 to 5-star hotel experience which it is not. If I had to categorize the hotel, it is an updated boutique hotel. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and spacious with simple, neutral decor but the beds are overdue for replacement. I woke up with a sore lower back every morning for the first few hours.

The amenities are just not up to par with a high rating. Yes, there is a sign stating many toiletries: shower cap, toothbrush, toothpaste, lip balm etc are available, but you must call the front desk as the items are not stocked/supplied in the room. Other missing items: luggage rack, coffee/tea/Keurig, slippers. Also, if I were to get super picky, the linens and towels were also a little worn and not to the standard one would expect.

The elevator also appears worn and could use a little facelift and oiling. It actually sounds like a train is running up and down the elevator shaft. I would strongly discourage getting a room anywhere near the elevators as you will undoubtedly hear it pass through all night long.

I did use the fitness room twice during my stay. It is conveniently available 24/7. It is a typical hotel fitness area with a city view. The machines were available every time I went and only 1 treadmill was in need of service. It is enough to get the job done with towels and water cooler in the room as well as a lap pool next door.

I know I had a lot of negative things to say about the hotel but it actually was a pleasant stay. I just don't feel the reviews and star rating are congruent with the actual experience and therefore, slightly misleading. It was perfect for my stay and more than enough for anyone on a business or weekend trip. You will not have a bad stay at this hotel but I recommend being judicious when comparing hotels in terms of cost, rating, and desired experience.

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 4 October 2017

We stayed 2 days at Palomar for a trip in Chicago visiting the Architecture Biennial. We got an excellent price, the hotel is perfectly located, the staff is friendly and nice, room are spacious (1527) with a beautiful view on the city and the river. The restaurant (we had breakfast) is quite expensive and not very good. I would have given 5 stars but I had a little stressful issue: 24 hours after check out, I realized that I forgot my official documents in the bedroom (passport, greencard, credit cards, driving licence.) I called the hotel 6 times, and 6 times they were not able to answer, to put me in touch with the right person.... it took 2 hours to find my documents at lost and found. It's quite surprising that the hotel did not call me right after I check out or cleaning to mention that they had my documents. I really have to thanks Miguel at the reception who was seriously concerned and made everything he could to solve the problem.

Room Tip: room 1527 was perfect
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Julian B, Manager in Training (MIT) at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Greetings luzzien,
Thanks for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit overall and you found our location to be conveniently located. I did want to apologize regarding the delay you experienced in retrieving your lost items. I have forwarded your feedback to our Lost and Found department so that we may better improve our services. Very happy Miguel was able to help you out and we can see you again soon!

Julian Barraza
Manager in Training (MIT)