“Two recent stays - both excellent!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #13 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Clair Shores, Michigan
“Two recent stays - both excellent!”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

After a wonderful experience celebrating my husband's birthday at Palomar Chicago in January, I came back for a girls' trip to celebrate my best friend's birthday this week. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but this trip was even better than the one in January. This time when I made the reservation I thought to include a note that we were celebrating a birthday on Tuesday, and we arrived to a bottle of champagne and a personal note in the room. It was such a nice touch, and drinking (free!) champagne while watching "Bridesmaids" on HBO and getting ready for a fun night out will always be a great memory from my friend's 30th birthday. As with all of my prior Kimpton stays, every staff member we encountered was very down-to-earth and super friendly without seeming disingenuous. Beds were amazing, in-room breakfast was fresh, hot, and right on time, and the location of this hotel can't be beat. I also love the little Kimpton touches like the wine hour, free wifi and minibar credit for members, and the option of traveling with my dog! Thanks to my flawless stays at Palomar Chicago, Eventi in New York, and Lorien in Alexandria, I always check for a Kimpton hotel first when I'm planning a trip to a new city. Chicago is a quick drive for us, so I'm looking forward to many more stays at Palomar in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Corinne382
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Corinne382:

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel and for being a repeat guest. We truly appreciate your business.

I am so glad you had a fabulous girls weekend in Chicago. We hope to host you and your friends again soon.

All the best,

Nabil Moubayed
GM - Palomar Chicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The hotel is smaller than I expected, but does have a very stylish decor, the desk staff was stiff but adequate (many ho-hum personalities....even the concierge was a drag!....go figure?) although i must add that the bellmen, and doormen went out of their way to make us feel welcome. valet service was very frenzied,awkward and small (about the size of a two car parking space) yet they seemed able to get the car to us without major delay. they have a very nice sitting area where many people seemed to "hang" throughout the day.it had a beautiful fireplace where they served a free daily wine hour. they normally serve one white and one red selection, they also serve a very miniscule hors d'oeuvres that unfortunately does not seem to make it all the way around the room, so don't go hungry!!...lol..There is a beautiful restaurant and bar attached to the hotel that seemed to be very popular, the food was decent, not outstanding and somewhat pricey for what you recieved. we ordered room service twice, only because we recieved a meal credit when our room had not been cleaned after being away for 8-10 hours!!!! otherwise we would have never eaten on the property. at check-in they give you a $10 credit to apply towards a selection from the mini-bar. Initially, i was impressed with the room, we had two double queen beds, and a small sitting area, floor to ceiling windows with beautiful curtains,a flatscreen and many decorative touches. But, each day it went downhill,the first night there we received turn down service, our room was tidied up, robes were set out, bed turned down with chocolates on the pillows...etc. it was great! we stayed for 4 nights and never received that level of service again!!!!??? in fact we were looked over twice by housekeeping during our stay???!!! manager we spoke with was helpful but she was devoid of personality, (i don't know if these people like their jobs), when they did come to clean we left the room for a short while, i dropped some crumbs on the floor just to see if they would vacuum because i couldn't tell if they were doing it...guess what? still there after two days!!!? at over $200 per night that is just unacceptable!!!! my husband and i felt that we wasted our money staying here!!! we've paid much less and had better service at many other hotels in chicago!!! the fixtures are stylish but seem cheaply made. The bedframe was made from a veneered mdf material that had very sharp dangerous pointed corners (be careful!!!) I banged my shin in the same spot no less than five times during our stay!!!!! i'm no Klutz but i couldn't seem to avoid that darn corner!! the bathroom was adequate but small, two people cannot be in there at the same time and it did not have a real door,only a sliding veneered wood panel (uck) so theres limited privacy in the bathroom. we visited the pool, it was very beautiful with cool lighting at night, but when we stepped in it was freezing cold!!! that would be okay now, but in early march at night the the temp outside was below 50 degrees and so was the pool!!! this was so unwelcoming, and to make matters worse the water was somewhat murky with a weird smell!!!??? (uck) the workout facility was basic and underwhelming.overall this hotel is a letdown. needless to say i would not spend my hard earned money to stay here again, in fact i stayed 5 more nights in chicago at a better hotel for under one hundred a night, I booked it thru a discount site the last night of my stay @ the palomar and it was awesome. tip:don't be fooled by the bells and whistles, if you do decide to stay here ask for a corner room on a high floor for the best view and most quiet.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room on a high floor for the best view and most quiet. also ask for king bed if ava...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank miamimomma72
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 6 days. A great stay. The staff was exceptionally great with us (and our two kids). The entire staff was friendly and professional -> the restaurant, the check-in staff, the parking helpers, the cleaners, etc. The pool was small but nice on the 17th floor.

The rooms were clean (we were given a corner room - great view!). The only complaint was the sliding door on the bathroom - though trendy, not very practical with kids. And certainly not as (ahem) private as one would always like. The only other room for improvement - a bit more choices for breakfast in the included package would be much appreciated.

Though a bit on the expensive side, if you can swing it, i would whole-heartedly recommend it!

Room Tip: Corner room!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Knoxville
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Palomar this past weekend to celebrate our anniversary. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. I have stayed in numerous nice hotels including Ritz Carlton, Lowe's, JW Marriott, etc. and feel that this hotel exceeded all of my expectations. It is unique and wonderful! The location can't be beat and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Sam was our go-to person for everything from the accommodations to restaurant recommendations and she was always pleasant and helpful. We had booked a city view room and were not overly impressed with the view. My husband called Sam and she moved us to the top floor where we had great views and an upgraded room. The rule of thumb for the Palomar seems to be if you want anything, just ask, and the hotel staff will do their best to accommodate you. We are definitely planning to return to this hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 10 April 2012 via mobile

We expect a lot from Kimpon Hotels because they have spoiled us in the past - and once again, we were NOT disappointed. It seemed to centrally located and in walking distance of the fun things we wanted to do like go to Shedd Aquarium / Natural History Museum, Navy Pier, Water Tower, Willis (Sears) tower... There are also a huge variety of restaurants & bars very close by ranging from super high end to downright scary!

OK, there was one thing we found weird: the bathroom door was a sliding door! It didn't provide much privacy.

Anyway, aside from that the room was awesome! The hosted wine hour is always a plus. And if you haven't already joined the Kimpton In Touch program, do it now because as a member you get a $10.00 "raid the mini- bar" voucher!

Stayed April 2012