2,660 results
All reviews no tipping policy house car luxury suite gas fireplace tv in the mirror the gold coast wet bar room service soaking tub beautiful hotel four seasons living room steam room bottle of champagne rush street turn down service an upgrade
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The staff are outstanding — very customer service-oriented. I enjoyed talking to each one of them. The hotel room is lovely and the amenities including a fireplace make it special. Nice fitness center. Margeaux, the restaurant, is outstanding in quality of food, wine, and service. If you want a special experience, stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Todd T, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear texasgal1010,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for your recent visit to Chicago. I am glad you found our team highly engaged and well versed in ensuring your experience was both personalized and memorable. We appreciate the kind words you had to say about our restaurants and facilities and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A very beautiful and delightful place in the middle of an urban city. Ambiance was great. Very quiet so you could get s great nights sleep. Restaurant service was ok but they could have been more attentive. I had to stand around for 10 minutes when there was no one there before being seated in the restaurant.

Date of stay: October 2018
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Traveler62865249899,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am glad you enjoyed your room features and got a sound night's rest however your restaurant experience seems less than desirable and we will certainly share this feedback with the team to ensure that we learn from your experience. I hope this does not deter you from choosing to stay with us again.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

From the moment you arrive at the hotel, the level of service starts to shine. Someone greets you to take your bags and someone else opens the door to the hotel. Check-in is fast and efficient and then you are on your way to your room, which has been properly cleaned. The beds and linens are first class and towels are plentiful and fluffy.

Dear Robert H,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am glad you had a welcoming, efficient and warm experience while with us and we thank you for sharing your positive feedback. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

So, I should have been suspicious when I received an email from the "pretend" concierge a couple days before arrival offering to do me a favor by selling me a $200 per night upgrade. I already had booked a Deluxe 1 Bedroom Suite so declined - I thought this would be adequate in a supposed 5-star hotel with the Waldorf brand (brand name only - beware). I then asked if it would be possible to get assistance with wrapping a gift I had shipped in advance - the "concierge" told me that I could go to the Walgreens close to the hotel to purchase wrapping paper. What "concierge" at a 5-star property would do this? Obviously, the email was to sell me an upgrade - nothing more.

So, I arrive at the hotel exhausted and the check-in was like that of a Days Inn - average type welcome, handed me a room key and pointed me to the elevator - fine. I get to the room on the 8th floor (lowest floor possible for rooms, I think) - walked in and opened the window to a view of a parking deck - so close that anyone on the deck could see into the room easily. I open the other windows and the view is into cement brick walls along with what I think were office or other rooms - again - zero privacy. Again, I tried to rationalize this and convince myself that was o.k. - it's only a room, right?

Then the fun began - I noticed the furnishings (especially the sofa) was worn out and looked like a large dog bed. The room was large as described so I thought I would just find other places to sit - but there were really none except basic chairs. I was late for a client dinner and went to take a shower - this large shower with a shower head that sprayed water all over the place - except onto my body - I've never experienced such. Again, trying to stay positive and get on with my business.

Had dinner in the hotel ($400 for two with tip/nice bottle of wine) and the food/service were just mediocre. The restaurant is more of a bar atmosphere and overrated based on some association with a celebrity chef, i guess. Good enough - just not what I would have expected at the Waldorf.

Back to the room to get some sleep and was awakened during the night with what sounded like construction noise on the street - and odd water/noises in the room I think from the plumbing. Woke up, ordered breakfast ($70 for pancakes, bacon and OJ/coffee) and here comes the room service guy holding a tray with the pancakes completely uncovered and cold! "I'm sorry, I forgot the butter - would you like me to go get some" I replied yes, and you can imagine how long that took.

i finally called down to complain and entertained the idea of asking to be moved to a different room with at least a view other than a brick wall. After finally getting thru to someone at the front desk (recorded loop operator message kept saying all staff were busy) and being told all managers were in a meeting, I told the front desk guy I was leaving and going to the Peninsula. The guy on the phone told me the room service people bring the food up in warmers and take it off, put it on a tray then bring it to the room which made zero sense. This had not happened with my cold pancakes. It was obvious to me I would have gotten more understanding by opening the window and talking to the brick wall I had as a view.

When i went down to check out, the front desk had no clue as to why I was leaving early - no notes had been made of my discussion telling them guy on the phone I was checking out early and going to the Peninsula. A clueless "how was your stay" - i have you here another 2 days, etc. I just paid the bill and left. No mention of removing the $70 breakfast charge I complained about or anything.

This is a failing, old, poorly serviced property in decline. Travelers who may not be accustomed to Four Seasons, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental type properties may be impressed by this Waldorf Astoria Chicago, but those who KNOW what true 5-star, over the top service is typical of fine brands will not be impressed. I am SO glad I moved to the Peninsula - like night and day - just two very different properties. The Peninsula makes the Waldorf Chicago look like a average, old Hilton - which really is what it is at this point.

Room tip: Go elsewhere!
9  Thank ATLTravelsALot
Reviewed 4 November 2018

On my recent visit to Chicago, I decided to stay at the Waldorf Astoria, instead of the Peninsula Hotel where I usually stay. I was intrigued by the higher ratings that the former had received. In my opinion though the Peninsula wins the accolades hands down.

The lobby: Waldorf 0/ Peninsula 1
The Waldorf allocated most of this space to a circular driveway, whereas the lobby itself consists of six chairs placed near their busy Petite Margaux Cafe. If you want to have a quiet place to chat,read,or relax, you have to go upstairs to their dark Margaux restaurant. The Peninsula lobby has to be reached by elevators, but once there, what an astounding triple height ceiling space, full of light!

The rooms: Waldorf 1 / Peninsula 1
I was upgraded most of the time. Waldorf wins for the room- I wound up getting a corner high floor room with a fireplace. Beautiful!

Breakfast: Waldorf 1/ Peninsula 2
Breakfast was served at Margaux restaurant , A "Michael Mina " restaurant. What a joke! Michael Mina is one of those over-extended chefs who would put his name on a coffee truck if it would make him a few bucks!. Billed as a brasserie, it looks more like a dark pub. The coffee, even the french pressed coffee, was awful. and the menu limited. You could have a more limited breakfast to go downstairs at their Petite Margaux, which I think was airier and more elegant.
The Peninsula though, was beautiful, with a free coffee station for all (I love this amenity- it says to me that, yes , you are paying top dollar and we are not going to nickel and dime you ). I could spend two hours there, it was so luxurious!

Gym and Spa
Waldorf 1/ Peninsula 3
Who can beat the huge, sunlit gym with the huge indoor pool at the Peninsula!?!

AND FINALLY _SERVICE
Waldorf 1/ peninsula 4
The Waldorf is just under-staffed! Ice to the room took over a half hour, the meals at Margaux were so-so, with me trying to catch the attention of the servers constantly, and worse of all, the reception desk, where in order to get a new room key, I had to wait 15 minutes behind a line with three people and one receptionist. Here, the Peninsula service is on par worth all the other properties around the world- just superb!

In summary, I'm scratching my head at why people would consider the Waldorf to be better????

Date of stay: October 2018
6  Thank Dextiee

Dear Dextiee,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Waldorf Astoria and leaving a detailed comparison of your experience. I'm sorry your experience was less than the spectacular experience we strive to achieve for each of our guests but thank you for your constructive feedback and will look to use this information when making changes in the future.