“Pretty hotel, but not as nice as competitors (Trump Chicago or Peninsula)” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #11 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Atlanta, Georgia
“Pretty hotel, but not as nice as competitors (Trump Chicago or Peninsula)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

1. When I got to the hotel the Doormen were assisting other people, not a problem, so I carried my bags inside myself. I waited behind two couples checking-in, and another person waited behind me. When an Agent was available he looked behind me to the gentleman who was probably in his 40s and asked him if he was checking-in. He completely overlooked me after I waited at least 10 minutes to check-in because I was young. Not okay to stereotype!

2. I got to my room (1 Bedroom Suite) and it was pretty. I love the decor. But that was all I loved. Our iPod dock in the bedroom wouldn't work, the sink drain was clogged, and the fireplace wouldn't turn on. So, they 'upgraded' us to a new room (upgrade = different floor level).

3. The new room seemed fine until we got back from dinner and realized the TV didn't work. All the channels were scratchy. The Engineer came up and couldn't fix it, so they moved us again. Finally in our third room everything was fine.

4. We ordered room service for a romantic dinner eating in on our 2nd night. The food took over an hour and was delivered cold. We were so fed up that we left to find somewhere to eat - definitely didn't feel like waiting around for new food. We asked the Concierge where we could walk or take a taxi to eat and he said we probably wouldn't get in anywhere. (Excuse me? No where?! Doubt that.) He said it's Saturday night, the good restaurants would have long waits. He didn't even offer to call places! We walked around the corner to the "triangle" and got seated right away at Gibsons. Thanks buddy for not helping.

5. When we went to check-out and they asked about our stay, I informed them of all the mishaps. I was understanding and nice to them about it, and I didn't ask for any compensation, however, they should have at least offered. It's ridiculous to pay $600 a night for that many mistakes/errors on their part.

I see that plenty other people have had great stays, which is proof they can be a good hotel, I just wouldn't spend my money there a 2nd time. I've received much better service at their competitors.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Lux_Traveler770
ElysianHotel, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our hotel from your stay with us. I am saddened that your stay was less than perfect due to our missed opportunities.
I would like the opportunity to apologize personally to you and to discuss what can be done to welcome you back to our hotel.
I look forward to the opportunity to speak to you.
Kathryn Day
Director of Hotel Services
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Kathryn.M.Day@WaldorfAstoria.com
Tel: 312 646 1404

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Like, until the next day. I have had the Elysian, now the Waldorf Astoria, on my short list since I first heard and read about it. It currently has the top spot for Chicago on Trip Advisor and was named number one hotel in the US, number seven in the world, by Conde Nast.

STAFF: everyone we came in contact with was very polite, helpful, and a pleasure to deal with. There were always a handful of staff at the front desk ready to assist with whatever was needed. I found that they were a joy to deal with but yet not overbearing; a nice blend. Also, a no tipping policy which I like.

ROOM: the room - a king bed suite #1410 - was impeccable. An understated but luxurious overall tone. Fireplace is a nice touch. Couch, although little used, was comfortable. Balcony would be great in the summer. The bed and linens were a dream. The iPod/Phone speaker was nice to have for music. The bathroom was elegant with beautiful tile work on the floor and in the spacious shower. The soaking tub was perfect and used for a late night bath. Toiletries high quality. And the robes, super comfortable!

AMENITIES: we never made it to the restaurant or bar, unfortunately. Room service breakfast was decent and arrived in less than 20 minutes from the time it was ordered. The coffee and croissants were the highlight. It was great to be able to get the Times on Sunday. The Spa was out of this world! We went for an early morning swim in the lap pool. A few minutes into our swim a gentleman brought in two cups of tea on a platter for us because he thought it would be a nice way for us to wake up. Completely unexpected and a nice touch. Afterwards, we spent some time in the relaxation area - separate women and mens - where the whirlpool, steam room and sauna are. I chilled in the steam room for a bit then headed into the whirlpool; it was so comfortable and elegant I could have spent all day there.

OVERALL: I would say my experience with the Waldorf Astoria was top notch. I stayed here for my birthday and I received a very delicious chocolate bar made by the pastry chef and a hand written note from Martin (one of the managers) wishing me a happy birthday. These are the little things I expect when I am paying for a hotel of this caliber. The Waldorf Astoria did not disappoint in any area; it exceeded all my expectations and I would be thrilled to stay here again.

Lastly, now I am curious to see how The Trump, The Peninsula, The Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, and Park Hyatt stack up. I have a feeling the Waldorf Astoria is on top for a reason.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank creining
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

My family travels quite a bit, and I am super-picky about where we stay. I can sum up the hotel, location, staff, and everything about our stay with one word- Awesome. The only negative I had was that the bed was a tad hard for my taste. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Go on and book your reservation with confidence.

• Stayed February 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

This is certainly a very nice hotel, however I probably would not visit again. Like others, I enjoyed the gas fireplace and balcony. However, I found the suite floor plan somewhat awkward. I could not get comfortable in the long, narrow sitting room. My husband didn't seem to mind at all. The bed was very comfortable and the towels and bath products first rate. The suite even had a powder room in addition to the full bath. Room service breakfast was good but not memorable -- we had hoped for a better in-room dining experience due to the excellent reputation of the restaurant. Service was very good, especially from room service staff. Front desk was very apologetic about not having our room ready at check in. While we were waiting, they offered us a drink at the bar.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alvalady
Greenlawn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

One of the most amazing hotels I have ever stayed in. Service is phenomenal, rooms are spotless, roomy and extraordinarily set up with a great layout. There is a no tipping policy that is strictly adhered to no matter how hard I tried!!

Room Tip: The suites are large and comfortable.