See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 June 2017

We were staying in Chicago for events and the Rodeway Inn seemed like the most affordable in a relatively close area. First, the parking lot holds about ten (10) cars for 20+ guest rooms, but luckily-- the neighborhood the hotel is in is well lit and plenty of street parking.

The room itself seemed newly renovated-- new bed, bathroom fixtures, TV-- but because were on the first floor, the bathroom and TV was situated very oddly. The TV was on one side of the bed rather than in the middle (a friend had a second floor room and everything was mapped out very streamlined). The biggest concern is the lack of shelving in the bathroom, the lack of iron or blow dryer, and places to hang coats or dress clothes. Little things you notice, but can easily work around. It is a budget motel and it better than most budget motels I've stayed in. There was also some trouble with their cards being able to be logged into the right dates, but they were very happy to reset things.

The upsides-- the bed was fantastic, the Wi-Fi was able to hold video conferences for an extended amount of time (had three that spanned from 30 minutes to 2 hours), and the hotel is located around plenty to eat-- both chain restaurants and local ethnic food restaurants (Thai, Japanese, Mediterranean, Mexican).

All in all, I would recommend this, but give the disclaimer that they won't have all the bells and whistles they would get elsewhere and are a bit away from things downtown-- but if they want to support Lyft to get around and want to save some money to put towards other things-- this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for second level for better layout, get there early to get a parking spot if you don't want to park on the road.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Scott W
Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

I stayed one night and was very pleased with the nice clean room and comfortable king bed. I would stay here again. Everything in the room seemed new. Location is also quite convenient to North Park College

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Deggto
Reviewed 16 January 2017

Where to begin? The hotel was clean. That is the only good thing I can say. No maid service, small towels, no hair dryer, no iron and ironing board, and no closet or anywhere to hang your clothes. The walls are paper thin. If you want to get even a few hours sleep, don't stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank rochellegordon
Reviewed 2 February 2016 via mobile

I too came from Michigan with my family for the weekend and ended up at The Rio!
We were heading into Chicago on a budget and after a long day we just wanted a couple hours of sleep before we headed home the next morning!
The Rio is a Brothel!
The following morning (after a very restless night due to hearing other people have loud sex and someone pounding on the door while screaming in the hallway) we were followed out of the Rio parking lot by the cops!
We stopped at a nearby restaurant for coffee and they immediately pulled my ex husband and I out of the car and questioned us extensively as to why we stayed there!
My two kids ages 8 and 15 were terrified in the back sit watching all this.
The Rio was under survalince for drugs and prostitution!
Do NOT stay at the Rio if you are in Chicago with your family !!!

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
6  Thank Rugermonster
Reviewed 23 March 2015

Just returned to the rio after about a year and actually had no complaints.Last time my toilet seat was loose and water in shower was not all that great. I decided to try again because the price is awesome and mirrors on ceiling are cool.Janitor helped me out with my bags. Very polite. Good heat. It definitely needs more tv stations and there was no remote. I will stay again next time I need a mini vacation.

Room Tip: Second floor seems safest
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo