“One of my favorites”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Midwest
“One of my favorites”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I hesitate to write this review as I prefer to keep some of my favorites to myself. However this is my senior contributor contribution... so here goes. I am in Chicago a lot, 12-14 times a year. The Monaco is a few short blocks to the loop and Miracle Mile/Michigan Ave so the location is superb.
This is a boutique hotel and the front desk staff has always been friendly to me, no attitude here at all. Rooms are big by Chicago standards and the rooms are clean. Note the carpets in the room are clean. Housekeeping is "on the ball here" The decor is bizarre. Lots of conflicting colors in the room. Just don't wake up with a hangover and you'll be fine. Speaking of hangovers, you are next door (it connects) to the Southwater Kitchen. Do yourself a favor and get a seat at the bar and order the Cuban sandwich. It is made in front of you in their gas fired over behind the bar and it is made with pork belly. Wow, what great smells and you'll not go wrong with any other food items here, great restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Overall this is a great hotel for couples and for business travel. No complaints and I will be back

Room Tip: I don't think they have a bad room at this hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Thank you for the review! Please make sure to sign up for our Kimpton InTouch program, which also gives you some nice treats, and with just 15 stays or 45 room nights, you can become an Innercircle member, with some really great upgrades!
Happy to hear that you enjoyed the Cuban Sandwich, we also do some nice flatbreads in the gas fired oven.

Marco Scherer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Gainesville, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

This was my first time staying at the Hotel Monaco and I absolutely loved it! Knowledgable and friendly staff, great dining tips (The Gage and Wildberry), the rooms are hip and cool gone wild, and the happy hour (wine and Wii) just right. Location is awesome. I loved my room, especially the picture window/reading nook. And the room was VERY clean.The beds and linens are sooooooo comfortable. And free wireless immediately upon registration in their loyalty club. The only complaint I had was no one asked me if I wanted a goldfish - now I feel so deprived! I'll know next time to ask for one; who doesn't need a little company?

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for leaving a review! I'm sorry that nobody informed you of our Guppy Love program (goldfish companion), just let us know at check-in and we'll bring him up to your room. We'll even let you name him or her. We just added some new games to our lobby Wii, so next time you visit be sure to check it out.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed in this hotel in December. Hotel is clean, convenient location. Staff is very helpful. I will recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Thanks for the review and for recommending the hotel. We're very proud of our amazing staff and how friendly they are in providing assistance to all of our guests.

Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Are there fancier hotels in Chicago? Yes. Are there pricier hotels in Chicago? Oh yes. Could there be improvements? Sure (The bathmat was a bit tattered), but the location is perfect, the staff is outstanding to a person, and for value? It simply cannot be beat.

Our introduction to the Kimpton Hotel group was first at this location ten years ago. We became Kimpton In Touch Members as a result, having stayed here several times over the years, never tiring of the comfort and convenience. The staff are both accommodating and friendly; they're real people and fun to engage in conversation.

For us, the Kimpton Monaco, Chicago is truly a home aawy from home.

Room Tip: 1. Seek a King Deluxe with river view. 2. Avail yourself of dining suggestions; they're spot on...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for the nice review and for your loyalty over the past 10 years!! We're planning a full lobby and meeting room renovation for the 2nd part of this year, and I'm sure that you will be even more happy with the property. I can't speak highly enough of our staff and how great they are. Glad that you got to have another enjoyable stay with us.

Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

This was my first trip to Chicago and to the Hotel Monaco. I was not sure what to expect with either, but was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is a smaller hotel with lots of special things about it. Upon arriving, parking was a real issue and we found it easier to just let the valet do the parking. When checking in, we were asked if we would like a goldfish for our room. Welllll....sure....why not??? This was a first for me. Upon getting to our room, we found a very nicely decorated room with a wonderful view of the waterway to our right. Each window had a good sized windowseat, where you could sit and watch the action down on the street. Just be aware that there is a building across from you and they can also watch everything going on in your room. :) It is a quiet hotel and did not hear any noise from the neighbors, which is important to me. They also provide very nice funky robes...not just the white ones you find in other places. There is a very nice bar and restaurant downstairs if you chose to stay there and eat. The hotel is pretty much in the middle of a very active area of Chicago and within walking distance to quite a few great restaurants. This is an upscale hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. A great place to stay in the middle of everything.

Room Tip: Higher floors will be further away from street noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
AGMRyan, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
"A great place to stay in the middle of everything." We love hearing that. Thank you for sharing your experience of your first time at the Monaco with everyone. It sounds like things went just as we hoped: you experienced the personal attention, the genuine care and the feeling important that we always hope for for all our guests. I hope your goldfish behaved! Cheers!
~Ryan Parker, AGM