“A must-do when in Chicago!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Chicago Food Tour of Lincoln Park
Ranked #2 of 55 Food & Drink in Chicago
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Rated 'Best Chicago Tour' by Lonely Planet and featured on The Today Show (NBC), USA Today and Bon Appetit, Chicago Food Planet Food Tours offer delicious 3-hour food tasting events focused exclusively in Chicago's historic off-the-beaten-path neighborhoods near downtown including the Gold Coast, Chinatown, Bucktown, Lincoln Park, Old Town and Wicker Park. Suitable for all age groups and fitness levels, each walking tour provides a non-touristy, local experience so you feel like a native Chicagoan. The guided Food Tours include mouth-watering food samples, enough for a large lunch, from unique specialty food stores, local restaurants and ethnic eateries while providing a detailed insiders view of Chicago's most famous communities- their rich histories, treasured architecture, dazzling entertainment offerings and restaurant recommendations. Tours run 7 days a week between March and November. The earliest departure time leaves at 11am and depending on the tour will last between 2-3 hours. Tickets start at $35 adult with adolescent and child tickets available.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Denver, CO
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A must-do when in Chicago!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

My brother and I took the Bucktown/Wicker Park food tour and the Chinatown food tour. Foodie or not, I think anyone would enjoy this tour. Not only do you get to eat at local Chicago restaurants, but you also get to learn about Chicago culture along the way. During the Bucktown/Wicker Park tour, our guide, Carrie, would point out different architectural styles and taught us a little history about the neighborhood.

Same thing with the Chinatown tour - our guide, Hilary, did a great job educating us about different Chinese cuisine and also about the history behind Chicago's Chinatown. You also get coupons to the different restaurants visited during the tour. These tours are highly recommended! Do it when you're in Chicago!

Visited October 2011
3 Thank KPTravelAddict

Wetherby, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Wonderful, delicious, educational experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

I wouldn't say that we're foodies, but we definitely like to eat! This was a wonderful tour of North Chicago eateries. Was perfectly balanced with a variety of interesting places to visit and eat, some history on Chicago and the food, and a great opportunity to see parts of the city that you wouldn't necessary see on your own.

Do it!

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Neighborhood insider info”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

A great way to get to know neighborhoods like an insider. The tours provide great history of the area & familiarize yourself with casual, local dining.

Broadview, IL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very Enjoyable Experience with great local restaurants”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

We did the Bucktown/Wicker Park food tour and we enjoyed it. It was a very rainy day but the restaurants and local history made the weather bearable. I have been to the area numerous times to visit friends and family. I had never been to the restaurants and I found all of them to be either very good or fantastic. Our tour guide Kent had a good level of knowledge about the area and was a humorous guy.

Out of 15 people taking the tour I think only 4 of us were from the Chicago area and the rest were "out of towners". I thought opening with a Chicago style hot dog was a nice touch (but I will say I was a little confused later in the tour about his dismissal of thick crust Chicago style pizza as "touristy").

We had an excellent time and we had a guide who is passionate about the area and the local restaurants. My only criticism, which I hope is constructive, was that some of the political observations could have been left out when discussing how the neighborhood has developed. These are my words only but I felt that he had a small axe to grind with the "new" people living and supporting the Bucktown/Wicker Park area and the "artists" who have a long history there. In fairness to him, it was interesting to learn about the historical values of homes which I think was intended to show how popular the area has become. There is going to be a demographic change associated with that . In fairness to the customers, they pay to tour this particular area with their discretionary income and I don't think it's relevant to point out which bank owns a busy street corner or to discuss things like "gentrification".

I would recommend the tour to my friends and family because it's a great experience. I just would encourage them to refrain from the social/political talk and stay focused on the food, architecture and the restaurant owners.

2 Thank Dan H
Chesaning, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“AMAZING!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

Our day was wet and rainy but this did not stop us from totally enjoying the experience. We had a large group of 14 and Lisa was amazing right from the start and she also made sure we all had a great time. The food was superior. I tried all of the food and what I thought I would least enjoy, I enjoyed the most! I just can't say enough about it. I even recommended this tour to Wallace, our hotel concierge, so he could recommend it to the other hotel guest. Everyone in our group can not wait to come back we are thinking the China Town tour next.......