“Food is very good”
Review of Aban Kitchen

Aban Kitchen
Ranked #17 of 131 Restaurants in Carbondale
Reviewed 18 June 2018

I love this place. Aban serves Yemeni food (and Yemeni tea). They have both Western booths and traditional floor seats with cushions. You have to start with a piece of their huge, fluffy, flatbread - I recommend it with hummus. Everything I have tasted has been grand. This is a restaurant that will keep both meat eaters and vegetarians happy. For meat, the lamb stew and chicken shawarma are excellent. For veg, I love the foule, the veg stew, eggs, and hummus. The service is a little slow, but the wait is worth it.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

Yemeni restaurant run by Yemenis. The lamb dishes are absolutely the finest you'll ever taste. Don't miss the chicken, either.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

I ate there with my husband and son, and everything we had was excellent. We had the humus appetizer and all enjoyed it. I had the chicken breast cubed and sauteed with peppers & onions, which was perfectly seasoned. My husband enjoyed a kafta kabob and my son a lamb stew. There were also vegetarian options. The food was so good, we wanted to come back the next day to try their sandwiches, but they are closed on Mondays. SO we just had to have one of their Yemeni desserts. We'd had something similar while visiting our daughter in Brooklyn, so our expectations were high. Aban's version was delicious, but we did ask him to add a bit more honey, which he seemed happy to do; then it was just right. The owner seems very nice, and the service was good.

Reviewed 15 March 2018

My son's favorite restaurant in Carbondale. I love their chicken stew on rice. Meat was so tender and flavorful. Lamp stew was a bit dry but taste was good. They have two kinds of tea and they are specially favored and delicious. I was supposed to eat rice for dieting but it was so nicely cooked that I broke my restriction.

Reviewed 31 January 2018

I enjoyed a Beef Shawarma sandwich and my guest had a salad. We shared a side of Baba Ghanoush. It was all served with a 15" piece of fresh baked flat bread. All items were delicious.

Service was prompt and attentive.

The atmosphere was pleasant, the booth was comfortable.

The restaurant also offered traditional floor seating with cushions that looked attractive and comfortable. The menu offers a wide variety of Mediterranean style food.