“Great food ... Suspect service”

Fujiyama's Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 131 Restaurants in Carbondale
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 20 November 2017

Was told the wait would be 15 - 20 minutes. 40 minutes later and still waiting. Hostess said we will clean the tables and sit you as soon as people finish and get up. That was an obvious statement!

Reviewed 10 November 2017

I've dined at Fujiyama several times and have always had excellent food. The tempura is absolutely perfect and one of my favorite dishes. I've also tried some of their sushi and been extremely pleased, even as picky as I am about sushi. I've done the hibachi experience once, and that was enough for me. As I said, great food, but seriously loud. Unfortunately, even if you aren't seated in the hibachi area, it's still really loud. We could barely carry on a conversation. Maybe it's quieter at lunch time but, in the future, I'll probably order take away.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

On a genealogy research vacation...and needed to find a place for dinner...

First time at this restaurant...and we were so impressed. Brand new building...very nice. We were asked if we wanted to be seated at a table or have the hibachi service. (where we are from there isn't a choice...we like the grill /show experience so, we asked for the hibachi)

The room we were taken to had two grills so, there were many people in the room. One half was already having their meals prepared so, we watched their chef preparing their meal and then our chef arrived and was back to back with the other chef. Our salads and soup arrived...and they were so flavorful.

Our Chef had such a great personality and made everyone have fun. He prepared each thing perfectly, whether it was Salmon for my husband or Filet for me or chicken or shrimp for others at our grill table...he prepared each thing just as they ordered it... and it was sooo good. Their seasonings are unlike any other Japanese restaurants near us.

I think it was the best Filet I have ever had...even from a steak house.

After our wonderful meal...I googled to see if their were other locations and to my delight I realized they are a chain....we will be checking out locations closer to us when we return home.

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

This place will hold its own with any of them. Clean and professional with consistent quality. The sushi is good and the chefs are funny.

Great place for birthdays or customer visits or just a night on the town.

I always upgrade to the filet and we have a constant debate between fried rice and noodles.

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

We went for a birthday celebration. The food was just okay. I'm not in a hurry to go back anytime soon. The service was slow and the good was not as good as previous visits... same thing ordered each time... disappointing..