“I miss the original restaurant ”
Review of Grand Cafe

Grand Cafe
Ranked #115 of 263 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Same food but certainly lacking the old charm. Paper plates, plastic silverware, plastic cups. I didn’t bother to order tea to be served in a paper cup. Egg rolls and crab Rangoon were the same. No free fortune cookies. One very over worked waitress on Saturday night. Small dining room which was crowded with people standing by your table waiting for carry out orders or a table. Love the food but won’t go back often unless I get to “to go.”

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Trip Advisor needs to update the location for The Grand Cafe in Bloomington. It is under new ownership and has moved to the east side next to Jewel-Osco on E. Oakland Ave. I stopped for carry-out tonight and was very impressed with how clean and bright the new location is compared to the dirty old dungeon downtown. I had an order of Shrimp and Broccoli along with an iconic egg roll. Both were excellent, nice and hot...lots of shrimp. My wife and I split the entree and each had egg roll. We had some leftover shrimp and broccoli, but ate every morsel of the egg roll. There is limited seating and no alcohol. I used the online ordering service and my food was ready to be picked up in 25 minutes. Delivery service is available. Hopefully, the new location pumps some energy into what had been a local favorite for years.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

This restaurant has been on this corner for decades. But I can't for the life of me figure out why. The food is awful. I'm very familiar with authentic Chinese cuisine. But I understand there is an appeal to Chinese-American dishes and often will visit other local Chinese restaurants. But Grand Cafe doesn't even score on the Americanized side of things. The food is simply bad. It looked bad. It tasted bad. And after sampling, I felt bad.

Reviewed 22 May 2017

This place has been in Bloomington for a long time. I just can't recommend it. The food wasn't good. The service was bad and the place is extremely run down.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

It is like stepping back into the 60's or 50's in a small, Central Illinois town -- but not in a particularly good way. The food is the kind of quasi-Asian food I would anticipate was served when the place was originally opened -- calculated to not alarm the tastes of folks who have never eaten any Asian food.