“Good was pretty good, service was good”
Review of Lucky Garden

Lucky Garden
Ranked #93 of 263 Restaurants in Bloomington
Price range: US$4 - US$49
Cuisines: Sushi, Chinese, Japanese
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Description: Both a Chinese restaurant and Japanese restaurant. Open for Lunch and Dinner every day, we have a large fresh sushi bar and a full bar stocked with the best import and domestic beer including spirits. Our Chinese food menu features Szechuan and Mandarin style cuisine. Our Japanese food menu features Bento Boxes, Tempura, Teriyaki, Seafood, Udon, Suonomono, Soups, and a fresh selection of the best sushi in Bloomington Illinois.
Reviewed 11 September 2017

Ordered the kung pao chicken. The egg drop soup was hot and very good. Egg roll was the typical frozen egg rolls that all Chinese restaurants seem to order any more. The entree was pretty good, but not spicy enough and was missing the typical red pepper pods and over cooked slightly, but still decent. At least since there was no buffet, the food was served cooked fresh, very hot and service was quick. Would be very good for anyone that needed to get back to work. Prices were reasonable. Think the lunch was about 8.00. Took one star only because the entree should have been a little better. Was enough food to be filling. Will probably return and try something else.

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

When you're new to an area, you really want to find a great place to eat. This is not that place. Service was unwelcoming, boarding on just being plain rude. I ordered from the lunch menu which was sparse, that's the 1st sign. If you eat sushi, you know that they have all kinds of combinations. I asked my server what the sushi rolls included, he answered, fish, seaweed and rice. From the pics I took you can see the rice didn't even stick together. No sauce, no veggies, not even cucumbers, which is used in several types of rolls. The slices were the size of my thumb, on my plate, you can see how empty the plate was because they were tiny and plain. What you see is what I left. The best thing about this place is that Red Lobster is next door. I've been eating sushi for close to 20 yrs. This is the worse restaurant I've ever stumbled across. Guess what I ate for lunch? Go next door! PS. The pic with the mug, was my second dirty cup. I couldn't even have tea.

Reviewed 26 July 2017

After a couple of authentic Japanese places closed down (sadly...), this has become the best place to go for sushi. A spacious and well (but not overly) lit dining area, a bar area and a lovely entrance are all inviting, but the sushi is what I come for. Given that the prices are reasonable, the service quick and friendly, and the environment and the sushi pretty good, I'd definitely try this before the other places in town.

Reviewed 2 February 2017 via mobile

Our young adult sons love sushi so we let them choose a restaurant. From the looks of the outside let me just say it would not have been my choice. But I soon learned not to judge from outside! The inside was nice with dark wooden floors, a separate sushi bar, a water fountain and a nice quiet atmosphere. We were early for Friday night dinner so very few patrons. Our waitress was very patient with us and explained the menu and choices well. She brought us hot tea, which is included and water right away. We all decided to order a sushi roll to start. We ordered a king crab avocado roll, a California roll, a spicy salmon roll and a dragon roll (eel). I sadly couldn't tell the diff between the king crab and the California roll. The spicy salmon was incredible and not really terribly spicy. The boys were very impressed and satisfied. We ordered a couple orders of their egg rolls, very crisp and flavorful. Egg drop soup had a delicious sesame oil flavor, and the hot and sour soup was quite good, and I make my own so believe me when I say it was unique and quite good. We were surprised at the temperature of the soups, kind of lukewarm, but we were early so maybe they weren't heated up for the evening. We ordered the beef mein fun(rice noodles) main dish which was tasty. Also the beef and broccoli and the sesame chicken were flavorful also. I must admit I thought we would be more full for $83 - $100 with tip, but it was an experience, authentic flavors and satisfied my half Asian husband's tastebuds.

Reviewed 17 September 2016

My daughter decided she wanted Chinese tonight. So, we thought about where to go. There are some obvious places in Bloomington/Normal, but I've been to those. None were appealing to us. Then, we Google searched and found Lucky Garden. My daughter said she'd like to try it. I read the reviews, and all were good. So we went. First impression wasn't sensational, and frankly, the waitress seemed uninformed regarding the menu. My wife, daughter, and I ordered from an extensive albeit somewhat cryptic menu. However, the food was excellent and very reasonably priced. I don't know who is running that kitchen, but they have someone really good back there. We'll be returning to one of our new favorite places!