“Small & homey”
Review of Canteen Restaurant

Canteen Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 78 Restaurants in Barrington
Reviewed 28 August 2018

A good place to meet a friend for a visit. Good food, a friendly place. Not a lot of parking. Close to the center of town.

Reviewed 26 August 2018

Terrific breakfast menu - there are so many choices! They smoke their own pulled pork and it is delicious. The service was friendly and attentive. The decor is 40's themed, mostly - some airplanes hanging from the ceiling, and WW2 and movie posters/memorabilia on the walls.

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

The Canteen: A Gem of a Big Fat Greek Wedding restaurant!

Okay, so probably everyone in a certain radius of Barrington, IL knows about this place. But, I stumbled on it by accident while driving one Sunday morning through an area I’d never been to before. It was a charming small white wooden building - very inviting - with a sandwich board that read, “Avocado toast”. I could see it was popular. I thought that I’d stop for breakfast on my way back home.

And I did. I walked through the front door to be greeted with a warm, welcoming smile by the owner. I knew immediately he was Greek. Why? Because I am full blooded Greek. I instantly felt at home. And I could see that all his patrons felt the same way. He, Sam, walked around with a coffee pot talking with each person at every table. He knew everyone and they all knew him.

It is a family affair with his two beautiful daughters and older brother all working there. A large movie poster of My Big Fat Greek Wedding proudly hung on a wall.

The food was wonderful. The menu is American with Greek specialties. I eyed every plate served with envy and wished I’d had a bigger stomach.

The ambiance is cozy with tables and a horse shoe counter as well as outside seating under umbrellas.

I rarely post on Trip advisor, but when I do it’s because I want to share about something worth sharing about and The Canteen is just that special.

Please make the trip out there and say “hello” to Sam who will greet you and to his brother George. You will be treated like family and enjoy a feast of good food.

Opa!

Reviewed 15 December 2017

We were looking for a casual place in the NW 'burbs to take an elderly friend for lunch, and decided to try the Canteen Restaurant. Prior reviews rated the food well, and we liked the fact it was "all on one level" with adjacent parking, since our guest uses a cane. The decor features older model airplanes suspended above, which our guest could relate to, and Christmas decorations provided an added cheerful bonus. It's far from being a trendy, modern environment, but it's cute! (I could see this restaurant being a nice place to take children, as well, especially if they like planes.)

Clearly, the most important part of any restaurant visit is the food, and the Canteen's menu was larger than our guest anticipated. (I'd looked at the menu ahead of time, so I already knew they offered a wide selection of breakfast, as well as lunch items.) Our friend opted to have the homemade corned beef hash, which said it came with eggs, potatoes, and toast, but the waitress said pancakes were an option for the toast, and that made our friend even happier. The amount of food was generous, allowing her to take leftovers home for another meal.

I ordered the Ensalada de Pollo (a BBQ chicken salad) and my husband got the fresh turkey burger with fries. I enjoyed my salad, although it was advertised as coming with a homemade mango salsa, but there weren't many mango chunks and the ones I did get weren't very ripe. The turkey burger was good sized, but the fries weren't very crisp. Still, we all agreed that the Canteen Restaurant would be worth coming back to, and trying other items on their ample menu.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

It has been a long time since we've been to the Canteen, and it is as good as I remember. We visited for breakfast. My husband had the Zorba Omelet, it was huge. Fluffy and tasty. You have an option for a pancake side or toast (he had the toast). It also comes with home fries. The home fries were outstanding. He also got a side of bacon. The bacon was great. He did get a glass of OJ. The OJ was your typical fare. I had the ham and cheese omelet. Also huge, ham was fresh, really good. I had the pancakes, there were outstanding, to the point when we return, that is what I am having.

Coffee is excellent. There is plenty of seating in this smallish place with booths, tables and seating at the 'bar'. Wait staff is excellent. All reasonably priced. I really wish the Canteen was closer to home!