Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
CheapTickets
All reviews beautiful beach beachside bar year after year fish burger lunch menu no rush plenty of hot water simple place conch fritters caribbean island bequia steps shore bay
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 February 2019 via mobile

They charged extra for maid service, 20% higher than advertised. They kept my passport at check in even when I asked for it and they are notorious for keeping guest passports!
I asked 5 times how much my total bill was and she couldn't answer me. I thought it was prepaid, not plus $100 to have maid service for 2 nights!! I barely got my passport back, it's a pretty important document to keep and not say anything. Unbelievable!! Don't stay here, bed and pillows are uncomfortable.
Sara

Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank luv2snorkle
Reviewed 5 February 2019 via mobile

We have stayed here twice now and loved it both times. We ate at several different restaurants between the two trips and on more than one occasion wished we would have skipped the taxi ride and ate at Keegan’s instead.

The staff is super friendly and very helpful. On more than one occasion we had questions about the island, tours and other restaurants and they were able to help us. They were even able to help us setup a Taxi in Saint Vincent to meet us at the ferry and give us an island tour to kill time until we had to be at airport. I cannot list all the staff that was helpful because I would probably forget someone since it was each and every employee from the maids, kitchen, office, bar and the general helper.

Another plus about staying at Keegan’s is all the special/events they put on. While we were there we were able to attend the Full Moon Hog Roast which is a must, Saturday Night BBQ, and Movie night on the beach.

1  Thank scott9512017
Reefdweller, Front Office Manager at Keegan's Beachside Hotel,Apartments & Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2019

Thank you for your fantastic review Scott,was great to have you with us,miss your waves on smile each time you pass by.We're so humbled each time our guest/customers who have visited us and left with such feeling of warmth and happiness,we aim to make each customer feel special and at home when they're with us and you've just let us know that we're in the right direction of achieving such.Thank you for the time you took from your busy schedule to write such review,we sincerely appreciate. We do look forward to always having you back.Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 30 January 2019

I went to this place honestly not expecting alot, but let me tell you, Keegans is now a thing that i plan on doing every year. The staff was polite, I would 10/10 reccommend asking for Aussie, he made our stay so much more enjoyabe, and i must admit that it's because of Aussie and his hospitable ways why I see myself spending more time at this spot, really down to earth guy, knows the essence of being hospitable.

Would totally reccomend 10/10, cheers!

Room tip: Get the sea view, you'd love it on a full moon.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Dhandsomest

Thank you so much for your wonderful review.It makes us extremely happy when our customer have left us with the feeling of profound happiness,you came with no expectation and left with an everlasting memory. We do appreciate your time and effort to write such a wonderful review.Look forward to welcoming you back to our shores and to Keegan's. Will definitely gave Aussie your regards as well as a huge thank you for making your time here a wonderful one.Thank you and have a wonderful day.We're indeed humbled.

Reviewed 22 January 2019

Just loved the laid back vibe at Keegan's, and the beautiful beach right in front for a dip between cocktails.

We ate at a couple of other beachside bar/restaurants during our stay (Mac's, Jack's) but I think Keegan's wins because it's more authentic. Food is great and and cocktails are well priced. Service is efficient and you can run a tab if you want.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank SallyBell6
Reefdweller, Public Relations Manager at Keegan's Beachside Hotel,Apartments & Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2019

Many thanks Sally for taking the time out to leave us a beautiful review,we do appreciate it very much.Was great to have you and hope to see you back.Thank you.

Reviewed 23 December 2018

Having read all the reviews about Keegans, we booked 2 nights only (it was low season so I guessed we could extend our stay if we liked it). As we arrived earlier than booked, we spent our first night in Seahorse apartment as Seaspray, which we booked, wasnt available. Seahorse has a separate bedroom whereas Seaspray is a very large studio with everything in one room. There are some reasons you would choose Seaspray - it was a wraparound balcony on two sides so you can see the entire bay. Seahorse is set further back slightly so your view of the bay is like that of a blinkered horse, you can only see straight ahead of you. The bathroom in Seapray is pretty special - the shower is outdoor with no roof and there is a cutaway in the wall so you can still take in the amazing views of Lower Bay whilst showering. There is a significant price difference though so choose which one you prefer. The only other downside to Seahorse, is that Sea Urchin is right beside it. The one night we stayed in Seahorse, the occupants of Sea Urchin were clearly smoking menthol cigarettes on their balcony which blew our way as we sat on our balcony. It sounds petty but was quite off-putting.
The 3 apartments all have full kitchens which is very handy.
If you choose to stay in Keegan's apartments, beware that they are actually located on the Keegan's owners propery. Its like their main house on its own private land with locked gates, that also has 3 apartments on it. Cillian (Mrs Keegan) and her staff are usually around so we didnt feel like we had much privacy. Also, you could see into their balcony from ours very clearly.
Having said all that, the views are stunning, you are right on the beach. We could walk down the stairs and within 15 seconds of getting up, be in the sea which was terrific for pre-breakfast swims. They also have fresh water taps as you come back from the beach so you could shower off the sand before going back to your apartment. This was great.
Happy hour in Keegans is on Friday nights and was full. Highly recommended. We met two other couples there and ended up eating out every night with them at different local restaurants within walking distance of Lower Bay. I had read a review that said some people go back to Keegans every year to meet up with friends they met there. We have never done that on holidays before our stay here but can see why ! Its not to do with Keegans staff or the place, its because the place is small so you see the same people at the bar or beach every day. It really made our holiday as we shared excursions and taxis as well as evening meals.
Even though the apartments are a short walk from the main hotel block, I would still choose the apartments over the hotel rooms, purely to sit and take in the stunning views any time of the day without having to sit on the beach.
Last comment, the sign in our room said to pay 24 hours before we checked out so we went down to the hotel reception to do so (Friday). They sent us back up to Keegan's house to pay Mrs Keegan directly (why didnt the sign say this ?). I paid our bar bill at the main hotel reception whilst there without any problems.That whole day, Mrs Keegan's credit card machine didnt work, and there were also problems on the day we left, (Saturday) although my online bank account showed the money had been taken out of my account.We went to her 4 times on that Friday attempting to pay. I offered Mrs Keegan a copy of my passport to show goodwill that we would both doublecheck our banks to ensure payment was made on Monday when the banks opened. On Monday I could see the transaction had obviously just been "pending" and the money has been credited back to my account. I emailed Keegans immediately and asked them for a time to call to go through the credit card transaction again. The money was deducted out of my account that day without any call so I concluded that they had kept my credit card details without my permission. Maybe thats ok but I didnt like it. I emailed again to ask them to destroy my details and they replied confirming so.
Overall I highly recommend Keegans to stay in, but for the location more than anything.
Do note there is a boardwalk now from Lower Bay so you can walk into Port Elizabeth in about 20-20 minutes. Its a lovely walk for able-bodied people.

Room tip: choose apartmens over hotel rooms is budget is not a concern
Date of stay: November 2018