“Good food but slow service”
Review of The Brickyard

The Brickyard
Ranked #74 of 821 Restaurants in Boise
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 April 2017

The Brickyard is a beautiful restaurant. As a resident of Boise I am not sure how I missed this place, but my girlfriend and I decided to try it out. We went on a Saturday night. Luckily we had reservations because the place was packed. We arrived a few minutes before our appointed time and were shown right to our table.

The staff was friendly and our water glasses were filled rather quickly. After the water, things started to slow down. Our waitress was nice and let us know about the special of the day and took our drink order and then she was gone. The bar was pretty full of people so we didn't see her again for quite some time. She finally returned with our drinks and took our order. If you order a salad they send a guy to your table to prepare it table side. Think "table side guacamole" and you will get the idea. I had ordered soup, but my girlfriend was ready for the show. The guy showed up with his cart. He was quite nice and chatty. He has a large wooden bowl on his cart and tells you it has a mix of romaine and whatever else kind of lettuce (I don't recall it all). Then he asked what toppings she would like. It seems like there weren't that many choices, but again I was waiting on my soup, so I wasn’t really paying a lot of attention. He throws her toppings in the bowl and then she chose one of the four dressings and he presented her with... a tiny glass bowl of salad. The wooden bowl was nice and big, but the end product was quite small. I'm not sure of the appeal of the table side salad if they aren't going to dazzle you with options and make a nice big salad, but it’s their thing. After the salad was prepared and the guy left I got my soup. Another small portion, but it was decent. Then we waited.

Two pieces of bread came (sort of a fluffy croissant or something). The bread was good. Then we waited, and waited and waited. The waitress stopped by once to see if we wanted another drink. I asked for iced tea. About the time the tea came our meals arrived. The food was great. I had Beef Wellington and my girlfriend had a ribeye. Both were cooked perfectly. I would definitely eat there again. SO many people have different ideas of how food should be prepared that I would rather focus on the experience and not so much the food, so as I said, I think it was great.

Soon enough my iced tea was gone but the waitress didn't stop by our table again to ask about refills. We finished our meal and then again we waited and waited for someone to come to our table. It seemed as if we were forgotten. Finally our waitress arrived with the bill and we paid and left. We had a 7pm reservation and it was after 9 when we left. So, if you have the time and enjoy decent steaks, The Brickyard is a decent place to go. Just be prepared to spend the evening there.

Reviewed 22 February 2017 via mobile

Went to Brickyard after seeing their amazing Facebook invitation for lunch (fresh halibut). I am a regular. Arriving after 12:30, the waiter seated us with no mention of the special. Of course, the restaurant tried to sell its unappetizing regular crap. The special was gone in minutes apparently.I expect a good restaurant to recognize regulars and accommodate them.....Failed

Reviewed 19 February 2017

The Brickyard's staff were very likely the most pleasant and attentive folks I've encountered in the last decade, without hovering or overpowering our dining experience. The pace at which our courses arrived was just perfect for a good evening spent catching up and reminiscing with old friends. My lemon drop cocktail was refreshing, the French Onion soup delightful, and all of our entries were cooked to perfection. Perhaps the only (minor) blot on the evening was seeing a tableside salad mixed in a faux wooden bowl, rather than something a little more in keeping with this otherwise very classy establishment. The pianist's playing was also just at the right level to provide a pleasant background without interfering with conversations.

We all walked away thinking and saying, "Wow!"

Reviewed 13 February 2017

the staff seemed to be unaware of the clients at the door ! The girls at the desk, must have thought the world around them . Food was good, service was good, but with reservations, and waiting 45 minutes, @ 8:45 pm is unacceptable. We were eating slightly before 10:00pm. NOT HAPPY !

Reviewed 17 January 2017

My wife took us there for my birthday an I had a great time and a very good meal. We both ordered the Elk and it was excellent. Our server was attentive while not overbearing something I really appreciated. I would go back again jut for the food.