“Going down......”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Brown Wood Lane
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have eaten here many times. I used to think they really wanted and tried to be in the same realm as Atlanta's famed steakhouses, like Bone's, Chop's, Blue Ridge Grill. For a while I thought they were pretty close, but always a little below. We really looked forward to returning last night. What a disappointment! This place has slid down, down, down. The prices reflect that of a fine dining establishment, but the quality, service and atmosphere have dropped to sub standard. As one diner indicated, Longhorn is a better bet. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good. Definitely not worth the price they charge, even with a Groupon discount.

Upon arriving, it should be noted the exterior could use some tlc. The hostess was pleasant and we were seated promptly. We did have a reservation, but I don't think it was really necessary, even at 7:30. Our server took longer to appear and then the service was haphazard at best. It should be noted her tattoos were interesting, but probably more appropriate for Fellini's Pizza than a top notch steak house. There was no longer any wait assistants as in the past and like so many other top notch restaurants have. We were dependent on the server for everything, which didn't work out so well. The menu selections were a lot more limited in the past. No raw oysters, either. So disappointed about that. We ordered the fried calamari appetizer. It took forever and it really wasn't visually appealing. It was OK, but not really that great. It was sort of drenched in some Asian style sauce and chilies. The steak choices were really limited, too. Ribeye or tenderloin, that was it. One size of each, that was it. They also took a long, long time. One, the tenderloin, was served sort of smashed to the side of the plate on top the mashed potatoes and the signature sauce was forgotten. The other, the ribeye looked OK, but was only about 1/2" thick and no bone. It was served was sauce, but it was the sauce meant for the other entree. After we received the entrees our waitress must have left for a smoke, maybe all the waitstaff did. After about 15 minutes I actually asked the hostess for the missing sauce. Which she very kindly and promptly recovered from the kitchen. Unfortunately, the red wine demi glace was actually a watering muck, so it really wasn't worth the wait. The sides were OK, nothing great. The waitress eventually reappeared and we were finally able to leave. We were NOT going to even risk another course. Oh yeah, no bread anymore either.

Though never super plush. This place has gotten seedier. Very dated, and dirty. Probably need to dim the lights a little more. Needs a good dusting for sure, especially the window ledges. The air conditioner probably should be looked at as well. And what is with the somewhat loud hip hop music? Oh yeah and all the staff gathering at the hostess station or in the bar to watch the GA game?

This is not a fine dining experience, which the prices reflect. It is really not a steakhouse either. I don't know what this restaurant wants to be, but I don't open will be in their future, either.

1  Thank JennATl

Reviewed 7 August 2013

We had not been to Blackstone for a few years, it has really change and not for the good!!! The very limited menu only offers two steaks, the server forgot our salads, the steaks were average, veggies overcooked and they charged $3.00 for bread. What happen to Blackstone? We ask the server about the limited menu and he explained that it the manager scaled it down due to "Groupon" coupons (we didn't have a Groupon coupon) we told him our meal was disappointing, he was sorry and would tell the manager know. That would have been hard for him to do as the manager was out front on the lawn walking his dog!! Sad to say, but I think we have had been meals at Longhorn and spend a lot less!!

Reviewed 27 July 2013

We had dinner at Blackstone after having taken an extended break from this restaurant due to a bad experience several months ago. Sadly things have not improved, but have actually gotten worse. I ordered Salmon medium well, and received it almost raw. The steak my husband ordered was advertised as a tenderloin, and it was anything but tender, and also undercooked, again almost raw. Dressing on the side of a salad apparently means drowned in dressing, and a $6 order of green beans gets you a portion less than generous. All of this combined with poor service, having to go to the bar to ask for refills on our drinks, and never getting a water refill is a bit much at the pricing levels that are among the highest in the area. All this topped off by the fact that you have to tip a valet to park your car 15 feet from the front door. We eat out at least twice a week at fine dining establishments around the Atlanta metro area and we are happy to spend the money for good food and a great experience.

My advice, diner beware. If you like to pay a lot of money for bad food and mediocre service, Blackstone's is the place to go.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

What a change! This formerly upscale restaurant is now a tavern. The website has not been sufficiently updated to reflect the limited menu and limited wine list. The warm romantic atmosphere is gone. The wait staff is in jeans, the menu arrives in a clip board, the wait staff is average and not very welcoming. Worse, there were air purifiers in the main dining room. We celebrated birthdays here every year since it opened, but not any longer! Go one mile up Atlanta road or just a couple of miles into Vinings Village for better options! BUT if you want a pricey bar experience this is your place.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I have reviewed this "little gem" in the past and loved it, but after this experience NO MAS! New menu is very confusing and over priced, waited forever for our drinks, Food was fair at best and the lovely "Lamb Chops" are are no longer offered on the menu, In addition, your menu is a clip board with paper copies.I was expecting so much for my anniversary dinner, instead I paid a lot of money for a mediocre meal and a poor experience. I do not know what has happened to this "gem" of a restaurant. Hate to say it but save your cash and go elsewhere.