All reviews turner lodge methodist church cafeteria style grounds are gorgeous conference center restful place live oaks jekyll island oak trees robertson retreat pitts marsh womens property accommodations dehumidifier
Reviewed 20 August 2017

Epworth by the Sea is a conference center run by the Methodist Church. Wow - it is HOT in August. Food is served cafeteria-style: some was average and some was pretty tasty. All staff interactions were excellent - staff was smiling and helpful at every turn. The location is attractive and peaceful. I would enjoy this place more in January or February rather than in steamy August. My room was clean.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank 493Ron
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Ok.... I definitely won't be staying here again. Yes the rooms have been renovated, supposedly, but we couldn't tell. If you have to have a dark room to sleep, well, expect to be up all night. The light at night shines through the room so much you can see everything clearly in the "dark." Also, the bed was rock hard and the bed itself kept falling off the frame. My husband was miserable. One of our main lights in the room didn't work. Check in isn't until 4 and check out was 11:30. You're literally paying to sleep which you shouldn't expect to do. We couldn't call to have any of the problems fixed because we got to our room at 9:30 pm and didn't get in bed until around 10:30. Don't waste your money. Pay an extra 30 dollars and stay elsewhere. Very very disappointed. Grounds are beautiful. Maybe the other facilities on the property are better maintained.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Micah H
Reviewed 18 June 2017

I was only here for a quick walk but this place is so picturesque I want to go back. It is such a peaceful place and very conducive to soul searching. I am sad to say that it was a cloudy day so I missed seeing a pretty sunset. The oak trees with their draping moss are quite majestic. I can't wait to have a longer visit.

Stayed: January 2017
Reviewed 14 June 2017

The room was musty and outdated. The wash cloths came with instructions as to which color to use depending on type of soil being removed. We were not to use light wash cloths to remove makeup. There was a dehumidifier in the room to remove excess moisture--very yucky environment.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank kathycappy
Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised by the tranquil retreat Epworth offered. The grounds were pristine and the room was immaculate. For being an unexpected visit, Epworth was better than we could have ever planned. But it would not have been perfect without the assistance of the front desk coordinator, June. She was so hospitable and efficient! She knows her job well, and within seconds we knew we were going to have a wonderful stay. June definitely made the month of May, and we look forward to seeing her again!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business