All reviewshorseback ridingthe barnthe kitchen staffevery mealcattle baronother guestslove horsesexperienced ridersserved buffet styledogs and catsfood was wonderfulhorse loveraqua massageall inclusive packageper dayhour ridehorse farm
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed at this ranch for five nights and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

My wife had previously had a couple of bad experiences riding horses and they were enormously sympathetic to this, pairing her with a horse that allowed her to grow in confidence. This was also in no small part thanks to our excellent guide, Dave, for whom nothing was ever too much trouble and who instructed as much as he entertained us during our rides.

On the horses front, I was really sorry to have to say goodbye to the immensely pretty faced and long legged Nora, my daughter bonded wonderfully well with Baby, whilst my wife wouldn't have a bad word said about Shilo (or Shi-slow, as Dave lovingly referred to him).

Our room was extremely comfortable, with the bed guaranteeing a wonderful night's sleep and the other facilities, in the form of swimming pool, hot tub, mountain bikes and games room were all well used by us. If you should wish to fish in the lake though, you will need your own equipment, as insurance restrictions mean the ranch are unable to provide this themselves.

The other point of special note lies with the food. Three high quality meals a day, with copious choice & quantity and the temptations on offer were such that even when you steal yourself to just have a salad, you feel obliged to sample a dish or two and then wash them down with a to die for dessert.

The sublime setting means that if you're not looking out at horses grazing, you can invariably view deer frolicking or hummingbirds feeding.

Have no doubts, you will have a wonderful time here.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Bryan D
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I was so excited when I found a bed and breakfast that offered horseback riding. I decided to take a visit to this Ranch a few months before my actual vacation to seal my decision. I had seen good reviews, but I had to make sure. On a short overnight visit in March, this place exceeded my expectations and I could not wait to return. I put a picture of a horse grazing in the pasture that I took at Southern Cross as my computer background to remind myself everyday of its charm and where I was going soon. My vacation was booked for July and I was a little worried about the heat. It turned out to be beautiful weather for the majority of the trip and the trails that we rode on were wood shaded, with a nice breeze. There are so many things that are fabulous about this place. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. Jim is very hospitable and accommodating. Dave was my guide for the majority of the rides that I went on, he is like a great book, always telling funny stories about the horses we were riding in our group. This helps you to really get to know the horses personalities. The horses that we rode were all very well trained. You were able to sit back in the saddle and pleasure ride, taking in the surrounding wildlife and scenery. Not only were the views from being on horseback amazing, but our room overlooked a pasture full of horses. Our room was very spacious and the bed, beyond comfortable. I was able to fall asleep quickly to anticipate an early start the next day. First thing in the morning we could sit on the patio, have breakfast and watch the horses run and play. The chefs do a great job. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all served buffet, all you can eat, style. Everything tastes so good, lots of choices and you will discover some new favourite dishes. There are so many things to do, swimming, riding, biking, hiking, strolling nearby little towns, reading, visiting the stable, shooting hoops in basketball and so much more. The week went by too quickly. I felt very much at home at this bed and breakfast and I am starting to get home sick. I can't wait to find another opportunity to go back to this sweet place.

Room Tip: the Mint Julep is a Category 2 room, in the original house. Very nice room, clean and comfortable. View of the front drive and front pasture. The Magnolia is a category 3 room, very spacious, nice leather couch, shower only, well decorated, overlooks a huge pasture with many horses. My suggestion is to mention your preferences when you reserve. Each room has unique characteristics.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I made my first visit in May and enjoyed myself so much I went back a few weeks later. The staff is wonderful, the food is terrific and the accommodations are very comfortable. The riding is great – it is clearly evident that the horses have been well trained and I was well matched with my rides. It’s not often that I’ve been able to groom and tack a hired horse, but here that’s part of the experience. We were given the option to ride with groups that wanted to either just walk and weather conditions allowed, trot and canter. And if you are comfortable riding without a guide, that is also another option. I look forward to returning!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

A fantastically located ranch with plenty of woodland trails to ride through out of the full sun. Plenty to do as a non rider too - lounge around the pool, play pool, darts, cards, watch tv, walk or use the provided bikes to navigate the trails. Child & family friendly in a very hospitable accommodation. Fantastic home baking & meals 3 times a day.
Horses to suit the very novice non rider to the experienced equestrian.
Well worth returning for a second taste of the ranch life :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Once again we had an enjoyable trip to GA and the gang at Southern Cross Ranch. Everyone without exception is fabulous, they are kind, they are sincere and they are just lovely! David, Neva, Jim, Sandra, Lance, Midge and Ty to name a few - and of course all of the culinary staff.

We were allocated a different room this visit and it was just as perfect as the one we had stayed in during our previous visits. No task is too big, no request too much. We cannot wait to return next year!!

Thank you!!