“PASSING-THRU”

Americas Best Value Inn - Helen
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Helen
Reviewed 20 October 2017

The room was comfortable, quiet and efficient for our stay for Octoberfest. The staff were very friendly. The breakfast was outstanding. However, the bedsprings cover needs to be replaced and the carpet needs cleaning.

Room Tip: Room at the back of the motel
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 578billyh

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

I cannot stress enough how much you should not stay here. I don't see how this place has anything more than 1 star. We booked online and made the mistake of paying before we saw the review. I have stayed in many budget hotels before but this one really takes the cake on the worst I have ever stepped foot into.
When we got into the room it smelled horrible and was clearly very dated. While I wasn't expecting a luxury experience, I could have overlooked the fact that it has not been renovated in who knows how long, except it was so filthy that I don't even believe they have a housekeeping crew.
The outlet on the wall did not have a cover, the microwave and TV had a thick layer of dust, there was something on the microwave, the sheets were stained, the pillow was stained, there was a bug in the bathroom, the walls were scuffed, hair on the sheets, something in the bottom of the bathtub, and the floor had clearly not been vacuumed in a long time. I received a bug bite of some sort from being in the room for five minutes.
When we went back to the front desk, the guy was gone and had a sign that he would be back around 4:00. We weren't going to stand there and wait for forty minutes so we left and came back. When we asked for a refund he said he couldn't refund us but he would show us some other rooms. Alright, they can't all be this bad, can they?
Wrong. We were shown three other rooms and each were not much different than the first. The same amount of filthiness in each. We settled on one that didn't appear to be as bad as the others but we still found stains on the sheets (blood?). The guy said that the bottom floor was rennovated and the top floor was not. Rennovated when? The 1980's? I can't imagine what the rooms on the top floor look like.
I wasn't able to relax and enjoy my vacation because I was too worried about the thought of coming back to that room. So I cut my losses of $75 and went down the street to a much cleaner hotel. When we brought the guy our keys back and told him we found another hotel, he just asked if we had messed up the rooms. I'm still paying you $75 so if your "housekeeper" has to throw the comforter back onto the bed then I don't think that should be an issue.
I didn't want to take my shoes off to walk around in any of those rooms, much less lay down in one of those beds. This is my first review I've ever written because I have never experienced anything like that in my life, and like I said, I have stayed in some pretty questionable places before. Don't plan on bringing your kids to the pool here because it is equally as filthy and uncared for as the rooms are. You're better off finding the local crack dealer and staying in their slum house. Extremely unprofessional and disgusting. I debated sleeping in my car. I cannot reiterate enough... DO NOT STAY HERE.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lgass91
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Had to stay, no other rooms available. I went to the store and bought cleaning supplies to clean the filthy bathroom. The room had old dirty carpet and the tv cable didn't work the first night. The ice machine looked like it had been taken out of a dumpster, had mold and didn't work. At least the room didn't smell like smoke, the bed sheets were clean, and the ac worked but it turned off an on all night. They offered a cont breakfast but we wouldn't eat there.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2017

I had to change rooms/hotels due to the first one having a bad odor. America's best was clean and I was very happy. This was the second time I have stayed with them and I will again. Thanks for the good service and friendly staff.

Room Tip: I got a non smoking room and I was very happy.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Meree D
Reviewed 11 September 2017

NEVER rent a room at this hotel!! Decided to visit the beautiful town of Helen, GA and a friend booked this room for us. The room was NOT clean (all other hotels were booked) the breakers were tripped, the bathtub faucet ran a continuous stream of water, the toilet was NOT bolted to the floor and there was a used towel on the back of the bathroom door. About 1 a.m., the meth head upstairs started throwing things around his room and when I went to the office to complain, the guy NEVER addressed the issue. I have no clue how the city of Helen allows such a place to stay in business!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends