“Got what we paid for”

Ranked #5 of 5 Helen B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Got what we paid for”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We were looking for a cheap, clean place to stay, and that's we got. The room was spacious and clean and the bathroom was fully stocked with towels, soap etc. Walls are a bit thin though. We went for breakfast somewhere else since the "Continental Breakfast" was a box of Corn Flakes and Danish.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank DBJHerbert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tybee Island, Georgia
Reviewed 20 October 2010

The first thing that hit me upon entering the room was the smell. What IS that?? It was so bad, I went and got some Febreeze spray just to make it tolerable. The walls are paper-thin. We could hear everything from the next room, even water running. We were awakened several times throughout the night by noise and from the LOUD, antiquated heater. I should have known it would be lousy, though, because as we were checking in, another couple ahead of us was asking the clerk where the maintenance man was. Their toilet had clogged up, and the clerk asked them if their child had used too much TP.

The worst part, though, was the restaurant. Dingy and gross! I did not eat there. I tried to get a beer, and the bartender actually yelled at me for not tipping her! The sad part is that I had just gotten my drink, and had my hand in my pocket, reaching for my money when she started yelling. I have never been treated in such a way by a bartender or waitress before and I just couldn't believe it!!! She claimed to be the owner of the place. So, needless to say, I enjoyed the rest of my weekend AWAY from the Hofbrau Hotel and Restaurant. I would NEVER go back, and I would advise anyone to stay away.

It's on the river, and I must concede that it is a beautiful view. But don't be fooled by that. It's NOT worth it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Helen hotels

Rome, Georgia
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We stayed in room 402 the DELUX Suite. We paid way too much for this suite. The bathroom with the JACUZZI had not been updated for at least 30 years. It had blue and peach wallpaper, green sink with 40 or more cigarette stains around the edge of the sink. The tub was dirty. The tiles around the tub and on the floor were two different colors - biege and pinkish. The towels were more like rags. The carpet was flithy - nasty. The furniture was old and gross. The room smelled like mold.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
NC
Reviewed 8 September 2010

My husband and I love Helen, GA and try to go every year for Octoberfest, we have stayed at the Hofbrau Riverfront Hotel in the past and are staying there this year. We booked the honeymoon suite and loved it. We had no problems and loved everything and everyone we encountered. Helen is an old town, using what they have and managed to keep its town running after the close of the Gold Rush made most other towns ghost towns. It is hard to make a 5 star hotel out of such an old building. They have my 5 stars.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KBNC
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed 21 March 2010

I don't usually go through the trouble to review places, but this one merits it. My wife and I took our family to Helen for some hiking the weekend of 3/20/10. After looking at this place's website, we were expecting a cozy mountain hotel. Let's see: indoor/outdoor carpet, peeling paint, and dingy old linens. I could go on and on about this dump. The worst part was the water: With both cold and hot going full blast in the tub, a smidge above a trickle (no exaggeration) came out of the faucet. I assumed the dingy looking water was really the rust-colored stains in the tub, but after bathing my 2 year old daughter, I realized that the previously white washcloth was now light brown. By the way, I had to get a plunger from the office for the tub water to go down the drain. I then tested a new, white washcloth in the sink's water to placate my imagination, but nope -- brown as a turd too. Oh, and don't bother bringing your laptop -- the website says they have wi-fi, but it was very weak (we were right by the office) and I was able to access the web for about 10 minutes total out of 48 hours worth of trying. I felt like I was filming a National Lampoon vacation nightmare movie.

This place is really a public nuisance and health hazard and needs to be leveled to the ground. It boggles my mind that the local government allows this place to stay in business. If this is the only choice you have for a room in town, go to the horse stables at the edge of town and pull up some hay for you and your family -- it will be cleaner and nicer than this slum masquerading as a hotel. I know some of the reviews on here say "not that bad," etc., but the people who wrote them either work at the Hofbrau or hail from the housing projects in New Orleans' 9th Ward. Do yourself a favor -- KEEP AWAY!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple