“Appeared to be closed”

Add it.
Purple Rain
Ranked #341 of 441 Restaurants in Duluth
Reviewed 10 June 2015

We went by it once in the evening and the parking lot was empty. At lunchtime the next day, the lot was still empty. [This was during the work week.]

Reviewed 8 April 2013

I actually saw this restaurant on a tv show and decided to try it for a friend's birthday. We arrived early, so it was pretty empty. So, we had our pick of tables. The inside is very trendy, with sofas, pillows, etc. We also got a tour of the establishment, along with the section that sometimes houses a dj and music. The drinks were good and the tapas were delish! I especially remember wondering and asking about the crispy pig ears. The chef actually brought us out a sample and to my surprise, they were very tasty.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

As much as I love the band Gritz and Jelly Butter, I will not be back to this establishment to see them. My first impression of the lounge was that it was pretty nice, but the menu is lacking in options and taste. But the place is a nice size with cool decor.
Everything started off good. But when it came time to pay the check, we asked 9:54 for the bill. SHE asked if how we wanted it, we said split since it was less than 6 people. At 10:34 she still had not come back. When she did. The table behind us told her they weren't paying for diddly and walked out. I could've done that, but I actually went to the front to find someone to he my bill. Two people were looking for her for me. Then the GM comes over and asks what the problem was. I tell him, and he returns with a bill and tries to defend why it took so long...(keep in mind that the place was not crowded)....because we asked for separate bills. He says that it takes too long to do it and that the system is messes up. A general rule would be not to offer that way to pay if you can't handle it. However, I still was going to try to pay because never ONCE did I mention I wasn't going to pay or that I wanted a discount. I just wanted my bill, so he says you guys have to figure out what you ordered and circle it. BUT my order wasn't even on the receipt he brought to me. So how am I supposed to pay now? When I mentioned that, he got an attitude and crumpled up,the receipt. I thought that was very rude. I don't ask for handouts. I usually spend what our entire bill was by myself. That was not the issue! The issue was that NO restaurant/lounge keeps you waiting for 40 mins to pay a tab. That's insane.
Very Tacky! I can see why the first set of people walked out.

The food is not great. And one of the people I was with never got another drink because the waitress never came back to our table. Glad he wasn't thirsty.

If the band hadn't been there, neither would have we. I guess I will have to check them out at Indigo Bar. Much better customer service. I've always learned that good news travels slow and bad news travels fast.

Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

A quick note: a group of us went to Purple Rain because it was listed as "tapas". Don't be fooled – this is not tapas. It's more like average commercial American bistro, set in a tacky R&B lounge (with bad music). The food wasn't terrible, but I'd not recommend it.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Let me start off by saying I'm a local, and this is one of the most upscale places I have ever been to in the surburbs of Atlanta.

Atmosphere - very nice. I would expect this kind of place in Midtown or Buckhead, it was refreshing to find this in Duluth! The restaurant has a big bar area, a place up front with couches (I'm thinking you could eat there) and then two separate areas with tables. It is very nicely decorated. I wore jeans the night I went here with a nice top, but you could easily dress up here (if you wanted) and fit in fine.

Food - pretty decent. It is tapas-style so you can order as little or as much as you want. My husband and I ordered 7 or 8 items between us, and we liked all of them. My favorite was the beef skewers. We both thought our salads were excellent (I had the iceberg wedge and he had the caesar).

Drinks - we both had drinks, but they took FOREVER to get to our table (I ordered a Cosmopolitan and he ordered a glass of wine). They could improve on this -- we probably would have ordered 2 drinks each during dinner if we had gotten our drinks before our food!!!

Overall, I would recommend checking this place out!

Been to Purple Rain? Share your experiences!