“My favorite restaurant in Douglasville”

Gumbeaux's a Cajun Cafe
Ranked #1 of 184 Restaurants in Douglasville
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch
Reviewed 10 March 2017

This is a casual restaurant serving dine-in or take-out for lunch and dinner. Their recipes are very nearly addictive and are right on point with the cuisine I have experienced many times in New Orleans. Be forewarned, however: there will almost always be a line of people waiting to get in...the restaurant does not take reservations, and will not place you on a waiting list until you are physically present. So, if you only have a quick 30 minutes for lunch, this may not be the right call. Otherwise, get in, take your time, and enjoy the offerings. I ALWAYS start with the fried alligator appetizer. I grew up with fried alligator, and this is almost identical to what I remember from my childhood (except that it is prepared popcorn-style, rather than strips). Their soups are incredible, especially the lobster and shrimp bisque and the gumbo (which you would expect). The entrees are numerous and, although I have dined here several times, I must admit that I have been thus far drawn to only the fried oyster Po Boy and the soft-shell crab Opelousas. Be advised: if your appetite is not in full "hearty" mode, you may want to split an entrée. The portions are quite large, and we almost always take away what we were unable to finish. In fact, I nearly start laughing whenever the server asks if we want dessert...so I can not, unfortunately, give any feedback on their desserts here. In any event, try it...you can always thank me later.

Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

Cajun sampler for lunch so yummy
Crab stuffed mushrooms oh my
And a Bloody Mary
Doesn't get any better

Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

I love this place! Food is great and Tuesday they have shrimp specials and there banana foster is amazing

Reviewed 1 March 2017 via mobile

As part of a group of friends we rode our motorcycles on a cold Saturday morning from Chattanooga to visit Douglasville. Many of our friends had raved about the food. I got a bowl of the fabulous lobster and shrimp bisque. I can say it was the best I have EVER had! Every dish delivered to the table was outstanding. Well worth the ride....we're working out when we can go back again.

Reviewed 28 February 2017 via mobile

Definitely the best Cajun food around. I am gluten-free and can eat the fried seafood is battered in cornmeal and safe to eat. Love the fried crawfish. The bananas foster is yummy too.

2  Thank Theresa B