All reviews wild horses fernandina beach live oaks picnic basket front porch private bath pickup truck other guests private ferry park service the cottages dungeness porch swing amelia island the main house living room cocktail hour
Reviewed 28 May 2018

A stay at the Greyfield is a savory delight and blissful respite from a hectic life. Thankfully, we left the internet behind and enjoyed nature, hospitality and high quality right-sized meals. Tours of historical sites were educational and thoughtfully considerate of nature. We saw numerous wild animals, snakes, alligators, birds, horseshoe crabs and wild horses. The beach is unbelievably expansive, clean and with warm water. I biked miles without seeing a person. Leave yours worries (and tablets) behind and enjoy the company of others. Kudos to the Greyfield staff.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael F
Reviewed 16 May 2018

A couple of weeks before our trip, we decided to visit Cumberland. We didn't know the Greyfield Inn fills up months in advance. As luck would have it, they had one room for one night. A rare last-minute score. The cost to stay there is exorbitant. After catching our breaths and rationalizing, (the cost includes parking in Fernandina, transportation on the Inn's private ferry, full breakfasts, lunches, dinners, kayaks, bicycles and guided tours), we bit the bullet. You only live once. Right? No regrets for me! When we arrived at the Inn's private ferry dock, we were greeted by staff and taken on a tour and orientation. I kept thinking, "welcome to fantasy island."
The Inn is owned and operated by the Carnegie family. In 1962 it was converted from one of their family homes. Staff were wonderful, the service perfect, the Inn is spotless and I love the self-serve bar and kitchen refreshment stations.

Stayed: May 2018
1  Thank 52,024
Reviewed 11 May 2018

Having read all of the reviews, I still did not quite know what to expect but had this on my bucket list of trips. I found it to be the perfect place to really get away from it all, there is something magical in the property that just allows you to relax. I was surprised that although it was fully booked, I never felt that many people were around. The naturalist tours were announced at dinner each night so you could plan your next day. Each tour was unique and allowed further exploration and gaining history of the island. When I made reservations, I received a phone call and at that time was asked if I had any particular food issues or restrictions so I was surprised when some reviews indicated that they could not follow dietary restrictions. The inn is beautiful and a little worn in places but immaculately clean and the fresh cut flowers adorn multiple surfaces. The staff is friendly, helpful and operate smoothly often transitioning to multiple roles.Kudos to all of them! By the time I had my coffee and breakfast and returned to my room, it would be clean for the day! The food was delicious, plentiful and I never encountered anything that I felt was less than perfect! It was fabulous seeing vegetables harvested in the morning to be served that day. It was overall a wonderful relaxed atmosphere that allowed you to explore in the back of a pick up truck or lay on a porch swing and read feeling right at home. Treat yourself to this experience! The horses, turkey, deer and other wildlife are everywhere and the beach is beautiful!

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor of the main inn - never heard a sound
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank TallahasseeJan
Reviewed 29 April 2018

I wanted to visit Cumberland Island for quite some time and finally booked my stay as a graduation gift to myself (hey, why not?). Given the cost per night, I waited for a special occasion to book. There is traditionally a two-night minimum, however, on the site it said there were occasional openings for one night. Given my tight purse strings, I called and there was indeed one night open (Sun to Mon). I spent the night prior in Amelia Island, which was nice.

My intent at Cumberland Island was to explore and photograph! I packed up my equipment and took the private ferry to the island. The porters loaded all the luggage onto the boat and we were off. The boat ride took about 45 minutes. Once we arrived, we were shown the ropes: where to get our lunches, the restrooms, cocktail hour, coffee station, tours, etc.

Given I had only one night and 24 hours on the island, I had very little down time but I knew that would be the case for me. I wanted to see as much of the island and the wildlife as I could. I went on 3 tours and explored on my own quite a bit. Greyfield provided bicycles which was awesome! I rode around and this made it easy to get the beach and to Dungeness.

I did request in advance a vegan menu. The staff was happy to accommodate and I had some yummy food. The dinner was amazing; even the non-vegans were a bit jealous of my delicious fare! The picnic lunches were also great. I did like that everything was included. I don't drink, so I didn't need to carry around money or a wallet.

I ended up staying in the cottages, which are separate from the main inn. I had a private bedroom and bath, with a shared living room area. My "neighbors" were the sweetest couple and I enjoyed talking to them at length during my stay. I know some folks mentioned the walk to the main house; this was not a big deal for me. I love to walk and it didn't bother me at all. Just watch for Armadillo holes or take the dirt road!

The island is magical, it is nice to see an undistributed coastline and animals free to roam and free from hunting. I saw many different types of animals and was especially taken with the horses. There is also a desolate feel to the island where you can enjoy quiet and away from the hustle and bustle of life. The live oak are incredible!

For me, my stay at Greyfield Inn was a special treat. I do not typically spend more than $300 a night on a hotel stay. Given the inn has a monopoly on the island they can charge whatever they want. I agree that the price is a bit steep, but for me I made the most of it and it holds some wonderful memories for me. If you are looking for HBO, wifi, room service, and a typical 5 star experience this is NOT the place for you. If you enjoy the simpler things in life, then you will love Greyfield. This is also a must for photographers!

Booking - 5 stars
Gift Shop - 5 stars

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank Rhiannon C
Reviewed 10 April 2018

The review I am referring to is spot on! READ IT!! The place is overpriced and the food is not good! You have no choice for any meal and you will not know what the offering is until it is served...so beware if you have dietary issues - lots of carbs. If you want an eco-nature lover experience - go to Little St Simons Island. Oh, I will give the property credit for the historical value and loved the horses!!! That is why I give 3 stars. Information is not forthcoming upon arrival - by the time you leave, you get the hang of what there is to do and which tours are best. My suggestion is a "story time" at cocktail hour to avail the guests of the island offerings and the menu planned. We made the mistake of booking a cottage (shared ) and if you don't mind walking a football field for ice when you run out or coffee in the morning...it may be perfect for you! I am sorry but the service and especially the food was lacking for the $$$$$ paid. Skip it! Save your money and do one of the boat tours of the island.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple