All reviews wild horses fernandina beach live oaks picnic basket front porch private bath pickup truck other guests private ferry park service the cottages dungeness porch swing amelia island the main house living room cocktail hour
Reviewed 29 April 2018

I wanted to visit Cumberland Island for quite some time and finally booked my stay as a graduation gift to myself (hey, why not?). Given the cost per night, I waited for a special occasion to book. There is traditionally a two-night minimum, however, on the site it said there were occasional openings for one night. Given my tight purse strings, I called and there was indeed one night open (Sun to Mon). I spent the night prior in Amelia Island, which was nice.

My intent at Cumberland Island was to explore and photograph! I packed up my equipment and took the private ferry to the island. The porters loaded all the luggage onto the boat and we were off. The boat ride took about 45 minutes. Once we arrived, we were shown the ropes: where to get our lunches, the restrooms, cocktail hour, coffee station, tours, etc.

Given I had only one night and 24 hours on the island, I had very little down time but I knew that would be the case for me. I wanted to see as much of the island and the wildlife as I could. I went on 3 tours and explored on my own quite a bit. Greyfield provided bicycles which was awesome! I rode around and this made it easy to get the beach and to Dungeness.

I did request in advance a vegan menu. The staff was happy to accommodate and I had some yummy food. The dinner was amazing; even the non-vegans were a bit jealous of my delicious fare! The picnic lunches were also great. I did like that everything was included. I don't drink, so I didn't need to carry around money or a wallet.

I ended up staying in the cottages, which are separate from the main inn. I had a private bedroom and bath, with a shared living room area. My "neighbors" were the sweetest couple and I enjoyed talking to them at length during my stay. I know some folks mentioned the walk to the main house; this was not a big deal for me. I love to walk and it didn't bother me at all. Just watch for Armadillo holes or take the dirt road!

The island is magical, it is nice to see an undistributed coastline and animals free to roam and free from hunting. I saw many different types of animals and was especially taken with the horses. There is also a desolate feel to the island where you can enjoy quiet and away from the hustle and bustle of life. The live oak are incredible!

For me, my stay at Greyfield Inn was a special treat. I do not typically spend more than $300 a night on a hotel stay. Given the inn has a monopoly on the island they can charge whatever they want. I agree that the price is a bit steep, but for me I made the most of it and it holds some wonderful memories for me. If you are looking for HBO, wifi, room service, and a typical 5 star experience this is NOT the place for you. If you enjoy the simpler things in life, then you will love Greyfield. This is also a must for photographers!

Booking - 5 stars
Gift Shop - 5 stars

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank Rhiannon C
Reviewed 10 April 2018

The review I am referring to is spot on! READ IT!! The place is overpriced and the food is not good! You have no choice for any meal and you will not know what the offering is until it is served...so beware if you have dietary issues - lots of carbs. If you want an eco-nature lover experience - go to Little St Simons Island. Oh, I will give the property credit for the historical value and loved the horses!!! That is why I give 3 stars. Information is not forthcoming upon arrival - by the time you leave, you get the hang of what there is to do and which tours are best. My suggestion is a "story time" at cocktail hour to avail the guests of the island offerings and the menu planned. We made the mistake of booking a cottage (shared ) and if you don't mind walking a football field for ice when you run out or coffee in the morning...it may be perfect for you! I am sorry but the service and especially the food was lacking for the $$$$$ paid. Skip it! Save your money and do one of the boat tours of the island.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
8  Thank charbrad-01
Reviewed 9 April 2018

If you are used to and expect the finest, go to Greyfield Inn.
This place will meet your every wish whether it be fine food, beautiful scenery and things to do, fine accomodations, or whatever.. It will really Take you Back in Time.

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 7 March 2018

Decided to take a long weekend trip to this very private and pristine island. Growing up in north Florida it had been on my list to visit. Taking a boat from Fernandina to the island was a delightful experience in itself. The old mansion, now an inn, couldn't have been more beautifully placed amongst the Spanish moss draped 300+ year old oaks. The inn keepers and all the staff were very friendly and knew just how to stay out of the way so you could enjoy privacy and feel like this was your home for the weekend. From walks on the beach to swinging on the sleeping porch this was one of the best "stay-cations" ever!

Room Tip: Our only preference was a room with a private bath.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nugget O
Reviewed 5 March 2018

We just spent the weekend on Cumberland Island at the Greyfield Inn. We had an excellent time. The staff was very friendly and the naturalists who took you on the tours were very knowledgeable. The chef at the inn did an incredible job... Men are required to wear a dinner jacket and it really sets the stage for a wonderful evening. One of our highlights was to photograph the wild horses. This a very special place...

Room Tip: Request a cottage room with a priviate bath
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple