All reviews wild horses fernandina beach live oaks picnic basket front porch private bath pickup truck other guests private ferry park service the cottages dungeness porch swing amelia island the main house living room cocktail hour
Reviewed 27 February 2018

I'm reminded of Bill Harrison's "Really Big Lunch"- the 37 course dinner that he shared with 11 friends at L'Esperance restaurant in Burgundy. The cost of the lunch was equivalent to that of a new Volvo station wagon. When he took flack for spending so much, he said they didn't want a Volvo, they only wanted lunch... My husband booked this without telling me much about it. Had I known I probably would have put up a fuss and made a huge mistake. This was one of the more rarified, dreamlike, historically rich, bohemian, exquisitely wild and cultivated landscapes I've ever had the pleasure to spend 54 hours in. Time moved slowly. There was biking under the canopy of vintage live oaks,
hiking the dunes and visiting ruins, swimming in foaming surf, historical tours of bygone Carnegie estates - extravagant, soulful, bereft of life. There was living in the mansion turned Inn with much of the original library, marbled sinks, canopied beds turned down each night while we were at dinner. Cocktails and dinner were shared. There are no stale reminders of our life outside - no cars, tv, radio, smoking... no trash. Would we go back to Greyfield Inn? Probably not. Were we deliriously happy that we went? Absolutely. You'll be lucky, once the top shelf wines and cocktails are drunk, Gogo's wildcrafted jewelry bought, the extra lunches reserved because you can't bear to leave - to get out of there for a grand a day. But how else to better preserve this wrenchingly beautiful island? There is a campsite as an alternative... But it would be a whole different clambake.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a private bath.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dee K
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

The trip to Greyfield Inn starts with a boat ride from Fernandina Beach dock in Amelia Island. One can park the car, free of charge, at Greyfield’s private lot near the dock.

Upon arrival at Cumberland after a 30 minute boat ride, one walks to the nearby Greyfield Inn accompanied by the staff that meet the boat.

Whether you are staying or in the cottages, you are in for epicurean treat, hikes through undeveloped woods & beach, kayaking, use of bicycles and so on.

The Inn provides, free of additional charges, all one needs including sun block, insect repellent, umbrellas, bicycles, flashlights, etc.

Breakfast and dinner are served in the main Inn and an excellent picnic lunch basket is provided each day. The staff takes care of everyone’s dietary needs very nicely. Guests are encouraged to help themselves to fruit, chips and whatever extras they need from the available items in the kitchen area.

There is also a retail outlet for the beautiful jewelry designed by Greyfield owners family member GoGo Ferguson. GoGo Jewelry also has a retail store in Martha’s Vineyard, MA.

The only negative, just too many bugs especially when it gets warm - gnats, ticks, etc.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Dhanan
Reviewed 10 February 2018

The property around Greyfield is truly beautiful and you will start to relax as you step off of the Ferry...My husband and I stayed in the Little Cabin which was very nice..My suitcase was misplaced but Mary quickly located it and brought it to me...Housekeeping took the used towels and washcloths after our first night but never brought us any fresh ones. I ended up using one of the beach towels that they had in a basket in the living room. Dinner is served at 7:30 and lasts until around 9:15..There is only one choice for the entrée which was fish over pureed broccoli that neither of us cared for...I think offering an alternate entrée would be nice...The tours are informative and you ride in the back of a pickup truck..I was unable to to do this having had a recent hip replacement so I rode inside the truck..If you have mobility issues it is difficult climbing in and out of the truck...Also if you are in the back of the truck you have to duck to avoid getting hit by branches...I think they could improve on the tour transportation...Overall it was a nice experience, the beauty of the place is so peaceful and calming..

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dsb48
Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

What a fantastic experience! Enjoyed every minute. They truly strive to make your visit comfortable and fun. Excellent food (except the coffee) and the family style seating was much more enjoyable than anticipated. The packed lunches were fun, so many spots to wander to for a picnic, or inside if the weather did not cooperate. The pre-planned activities were delightful! Recommend that you do not kiss them. Something for everyone. Or it is just as easy and comfortable to sit and read or “vegetate”. Hope to return again and again.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Macimag
Reviewed 17 December 2017

My family had another wonderful Thanksgiving at Greyfield Inn, the old Carnegie Mansion turned into a beautiful inn. It is by far the most extravagant travel experience we have and I start saving up for our Thanksgiving vacation in January. It always seems like it is worth every penny. Each visit is memorable and my family from 20 to 60 years all love it. This year I used a Greyfield kayak and paddled up to Plum Orchard, the other old Carnegie Mansion on the island. The Greyfield experts helped me plan my trip, following the tides through the inland waterway past huge sea fowl, rolling dolphins and oyster beds. Other days we biked for miles on the hard packed beach at low tides and took trail hikes past grazing wild horses. The huge private garden run by friendly gardeners services the inn's diners. The gardeners take the time to share their knowledge with visitors. Bikes were in good shape and the rides were amazing. The food prepared by Chef Whitney of TV show Top Chef were sensational. More private baths have been added to Greyfield making it even more desirable. Its kind of fun after a full days of nature walks and tours and biking and kayaking, to dress up and pretend you are a Carnegie in their old dining room by a roaring fireplace... and during the day, if you don't want to expend energy, the porch swings are big enough to support a whole family's nap - mine did just that one day! In the end, it's the staff that makes this place. Mr and Mrs Ferguson, Carnegie heirs but salt of the earth folks make this happen every single day. It's unreal how they find beautiful young staffers who are so nice and helpful to guests. Does Tripadvisor offer 6 stars? Greyfield is off the charts. Make a reservation today for a year away, and start saving for it after Christmas like me! It's worth it.

Room Tip: I prefer the main house as opposed to the cottages just because of the historical nature of the Greyfield residence.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family