“Shells, Shells, Shells”

More attraction details
Owner description: Island known for its wide beaches and variety of outdoor activities.
Reviewed 1 week ago

My daughter, grandchildren (ages 2, 5, and 7) journeyed here to enjoy the seashore. We went on a trail counter clockwise around the island, saving the seashore until afternoon. Since there are wild horses here (we didn't see any) there is there evidence along the shaded trail. The dung beetles are fascinating! Stop and observe them. When we got to the seashore, I was amazed at the number and variety of sea shells. You are allowed to collect them. My grandchildren were overjoyed! In all the beaches I have visited, you would never see this many sea shells, because most beaches are near populated areas, or are visited by a lot of people! The surf wasn't inviting -- they cautioned about rip tides, but there was enough quiet water to engage my grandchildren safely. The children were engaged in the Junior Ranger program.

All reviews
"day trip"
in 88 reviews
"bug spray"
in 69 reviews
"the national park service"
in 37 reviews
"private boat"
in 12 reviews
"rented bikes"
in 24 reviews
"south end of the island"
in 17 reviews
in 72 reviews
"lots of water"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We took our teen and tween for a day trip as part of our spring break trip and it was the highlight of the week for everyone. We took the 9:00 ferry to the island, which leaves promptly so follow the instructions provided to the letter. If you do not, you run the risk of missing the boat. You can park in the lot or across from the dock if you are only doing a day trip. There are spaces right next to the dock that allow 36 hour parking. The ferry ride in the morning was pretty chilly and the gnats at the dock were horrible. The ride itself was great and we saw quite a bit of wildlife, including dolphins. On the island, we walked to the dungeness dock, around the ruins, had a picnic, then went out to the beach to do some shelling. We saw the horses several times and some wild turkeys. Then we hiked back for the 2:45 ferry. We packed a lot in and the kids wanted to stay for the later ferry. If we have the opportunity to go back, we will likely do so in order to have more beach time. We took everything we needed for the day in a couple of backpacks, including one cooler backpack, which I highly recommend for this trip. We saw a lot of people struggling with carts, coolers, etc, and we had no issues with temperature control or carrying our cooler backpack with a lightweight "freezer blanket". We were able to take drinks, snacks, lunch for 4, picnic blanket, 4 jackets, rain ponchos, sunscreen, bugspray, first aid kit, 4 refillable water bottles, and, of course trash bags.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Came here for the Easter weekend to enjoy the spring of the south. We did a full day trip securing a private boat owner to bring us over and thank goodness for that. The ferry books weeks in advance so plan accordingly. Bring good walking shoes, there are lots of burrs rocks, sharp shells and etc. We walked a portion of the island about 5miles and saw most of the highlights. Renting a bike at the entrance of the had to be done with the ferry schedule arriving and departing to deal with the concession operator. Bring a backpack, water, camera, lunch, and whatever you need for the day.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have visited Cumberland Island many times and never tire of the experience. The seashore offers a beautiful place to walk along the beach and enjoy the natural beauty of the island. You can walk as far as your legs will carry you and there are a few places to cut inside the dunes to meet the interior Parallel Trail & walk back to the campground if you choose to have an alternative to the beach. Otherwise enjoy the sun & sand and shore birds and keep an eye out for the wild horses.

1  Thank JimSTL1021
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Camping at Sea Camp on Cumberland Island is a wonderful experience. My granddaughter and I just returned from four days and three nights. Our number one reaction was to plan to go back again this summer. We stayed totally on the south end of the island and had a lot more exploring to do. I want to just share some tips that would have been helpful to me to know and understand. Loading the gear onto the ferry isn’t that bad. Just remember if you bring it, you tote it. There are some carts that can be used for free at the St Mary’s dock and the unloading point is a little closer than it shows on the website map unless the map has been updated. Just put the stuff where the crew tells you to. Hard stuff like tubs or ice chests go in the back of the boat and soft stuff like backpacks or sleeping bags in the front. Drinking water quality is fine at Sea Camp. The super picky might not like it but it’s really okay. Don’t think that’s true further north on the island. The cold water showers are really cold but I washed up twice without total immersion. There are no trash cans or dumpsters. Every paper towel or wrapper must be put in a bag and carried off the island. We hung our trash bag from a limb. The toilets at Sea Camp are real commodes and stocked with toilet paper. However, I would carry a roll or two of TP just in case. Some things you just don’t want to be without. There is a sink for washing dishes but it is also cold water only. I heated water in a tea kettle and used a small wash pan for doing dishes. Garden carts can be rented at the dock for transporting gear to camp. Cost is $5 per cart for the duration of your stay. You can use the cart as needed but they must be left at the dock and not kept in your camp. We got two carts to carry our gear in and then back out. Carts can be used for hauling the firewood you purchase but NOT for scavenging wood. Regarding wood, it depends on how much campfire time you want. We wanted a long campfire in the evening and again in the morning. That took a lot for wood that could not be found without work. I hiked away from camp and got off the trail to find downed wood to carry back. I saw no need for a personal collapsible cart other than maybe hauling downed wood. A bow saw is a much better tool than an axe. It was a lot of work but we enjoyed the results. Yes, there be raccoons who will boldly go into your camp at night. The food boxes work great but I have an apple that was against the screen and is covered with raccoon claw marks. I also took a 15 gallon wheeled tool chest for overflow food that wouldn’t fit in the food box. I secured it with a combination lock so we were good until the night I forgot the lock the lock. Then next morning the box was open and a loaf of bread and a bag of oyster crackers eaten. The wrappers were left behind. Purchasing wood, ice, sodas and limited snacks from the ferry works fine but you have to know when the ferry will be at the dock and go on board to make the purchases. I would suggest taking cash for purchases but they do take cards. The cards are done as hand written transactions. Cash is simpler. Check other reviews regarding bikes. Regarding bugs, we didn’t have a problem in late March but I think they were beginning to come out. I had the bug spray ready and, yes, you need sunscreen. I will also add that if you are a runner the island is great. I ran to Dungeness once by the River Trail from the Sea Camp dock and once by running south on the Sea Camp Beach. It’s a good run when you are running down the beach and stop to take a pic of a black stallion on top of the dune. Read reviews, plan, plan, plan and you will have a great time. We were in Site 16 and loved it but it is close to the group sites. They were empty when we were there.