“Gone downhill quickly!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Atlanta - Conyers
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Conyers
“Gone downhill quickly!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

When we stayed here a year ago, I would have given this hotel all 5s. However, we've stayed here twice in the past week - on the way to and from vacation - and it really has declined overall in just a year. Tonight, we are staying in room 213. We had to be moved when we arrived, because the original room that we were assigned to reeked of smoke (it's a non-smoking facility). The corridor carpets are all dirty and frayed, especially by the baseboards and room entrances. The hallways could really use a good vacuuming. In our room, the upholstery on the sofa is stained all over - cushions, arms, skirt. There is no drain stopper in the shower - just mildewed pipe. In the sink, the overflow drain is caulked up and is encircled by a crusty green funk. A minor annoyance is that the bathroom light switch is up too high for the kids to reach. You can't leave it on at night, because there is only the one switch, so the exhaust fan euns when the light is on. Finally, none of the ice makers are working except for the one on the first floor. When I contacted the manager on duty about this, she simply stated that there was nothing she could do about it, because she didn't know how to fix them, and that the 4th floor ice maker had been broken for a while. How about calling a repair technician - especially on a weekend when the hotel is full? While we like the space that the executive suite offers, we certainly paid for it, and we expected a tidier, better kept facility. We will definitely explore other options when we come this way next year. There's a Hampton Inn across the street with better rates. I think we'll check that out instead.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Hankandmoxie
ATLKU, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Atlanta - Conyers, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Let me first express my sincere apology for not being able to meet your expectations while staying with us. During your stay, our hotel was 100% sold out due to the family reunions and despite our best intentions to make our hotel comfortable for other guests; we could not make you any happier during your stay. I wish if you could give us another chance to make it right to you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

So small you cannot move!!! When you book a suite, one has the expectation that it will have a little more space than the usual room. This 2-queen bed suite with sleeper sofa was so small, you could not open the sofa without putting the other furniture in the hall. Also, the queen beds consumed the entire bedroom - you have to crawl over the bed to get to the thermastat controls. Additionally, my room was not cleaned on one of our days there, but they did take the time to come into my room and turn off the A./C - that gives me the creeps! There is no laundry facility and one of the two elevators was broken the entire weekend. What a dump!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Monterrey, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2011

Stayed there to attend meeetings at our company headquartes. Hotel is nice and renovated or new...rooms are great, didnot have problem with Internet.

Only issue is that I could not dial international. I called front desk and they informed they do not provide te service (however the instructions at the phone has instructions on how to dial Int'l). Had to purchase a card to make my calls.

Breakfast is standard, eggs & mufins, juice and coffee...after 2 days you would be bored of it.

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

This hotel was very clean and comfortable. It even had a great smell about it! The quality was beyond expectations and the hotel seemed very new. This is what you would expect in a 5 star hotel in Perth, Australia (minus the room service and restaurant). Price was very reasonable.

The complimentary breakfast also surpassed other motels I have stayed in on my road trip in the States.They included a nice hot dish.

Only issue was a low wireless signal. Could not use my laptop in the bedroom so had to move near to the living room nearer the front door.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

Stayed here 2 nights on business in the area. Had a suite which is plenty of space for one person, and couldn't fault it in terms of cleanliness and function. Decor is standard Holiday Inn Express, which is to say: middle-of-the-road, inoffensive and functional. Unlike the previous reviewer, I had no problem with internet speed, and I set the bathroom light to either On or Off, instead of Auto. Finding the switch in the dark was a small challenge, admittedly, but hardly the sort of thing to get worked up about. The only bit of poor design was the way in which the bathroom door, bedroom door, and wardrobe door were all so close to each other, it wasn't possible to access the wardrobe and suitcase storage area, and bathroom without opening and closing doors continually. As I got things in and out of my suitcase and went to and from the rooms, I felt like I was acting out a French farce with the amount of door-opening and closing going on.
Breakfast is standard Holiday Inn Express, and staff kept supplies topped up. Not far from the hotel is the vaguely historical "Olde Town Conyers", which is a refreshing change from the anywhere-in-America chain restaurants and shops along the I-20. I can particularly recommend the "Thai Palace" as an unexpectedly delightful place to eat, featuring a charming setting in a large old house, and well-executed, albeit standard Westernized Thai food for very little money. (Plus sushi which I didn't try.)
The dilemma for the Holiday Inn Group must be to keep the H.I.Express chain from eroding the appeal of the standard Holiday Inn product. After staying here, the following night I stayed at a "full-service" Holiday Inn in Birmingham, Alabama, which offered far less and cost substantially more.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business