“So Much Potential...”

Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse
Ranked #13 of 171 Restaurants in Cartersville
Price range: US$2 - US$22
Description: We are open for special events, ours and yours. Think of us when you need to celebrate. Choose our place or yours, we create special menus to make your event delicious! Business meetings, birthdays, rehearsal dinners. From 50 to 500, catering to your needs.
Reviewed 2 September 2017

My wife and I have eaten there several times and will be doing so again. But the uneven results mean we don't yet know what to expect when we return. Yesterday (early Friday evening) my wife ordered the ribs, which were overcooked (burned, actually) but still pretty good. I ordered the Barbecue Sampler with potato salad and pinto beans. The ribs were like hers, but the tri-tip and brisket were absolutely great, if conspicuously well-done. With several varieties of sauce to choose from I stuck with the original, which i liked fine. The potato salad was good; the pinto beans were oversalted and overspiced, and were left in the bowl. Both meals offered very generous helpings, and we left with a "doggie bag." Sweet tea is so sweet you have to chew it; that's what some people like. Our waitress was happy to provide a 50/50 mix which was perfect.

Service was good, and the facility was fine. Prices are very reasonable for such a large meal. I expect they have a challenge with location, which is in the rear of a strip shopping center that would never be seen by anyone driving by, and the sign is lost among many others.

My sense is that it's a challenge to be good at everything, and for that reason you seldom see barbecue/seafood/sandwich shop restaurants. Is it possible that JM is just trying to do too much? I remember the food being more consistently good in past visits, and hope things will return to normal next time around.

Jill M, Owner at Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Wow! Tough stuff to hear. Especially since we've been doing this since 2009. We've always been a neighborhood restaurant with championship barbecue

Being a destination is what we know and now people find us on their own! We're so happy for that.

True we are training again, also true we cook everything to order and that makes it difficult to be consistent That consistency is what we really really strive for Thank you so much for sharing this (difficult to hear) feedback I can share this with our staff and put everyone on track towards more consistency. Whenever you experience things that are subpar please call that to the attention of my staff it is our policy to change it to something that you will really enjoy. The fact that your beans were left in the bowl should have been addressed by your server and I'm so sorry that it was not Thank you for your loyalty and support. Jill Mitchell.

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

First time we went food was great. Second time we went food was horrible and we both got sick. Service wasn't great and waiting for the hostess to come. After 7-10 mins she finally showed as we were about to leave. It's not very clean but has a nice set up

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Baby back ribs are off the chain gooood. I'll be back
The Ruben is the best in Georgia, no doubt about it
Great folks

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

This is by far the best restaurant north of Atlanta. You have to try the Redneck Reuben! It is like no other Reuben you've ever had. The service is great and the owners Johnny and Jill are some of the best people you will ever meet.

Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

They provided 3 catered meals every day for a week to 200+ people in a fabulous manner. The food was tasty, hot, fresh, not boring, interesting. Special items- chicken salad, the homemade pies, potato salad, iced tea, grits, egg casserole, egg noodle casserole, pasta/mushroom dish. Best caterer I have ever known.

Jill M, Owner at Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Wanda thank you! It was a pleasure serving you hard paddling people. Thank you for supporting clean Georgia Rivers and making the world better.