“Dirty, Unprofessional and Way Overpriced”

Howard Johnson Inn - Winter Haven FL
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Winter Haven
Reviewed 27 April 2017

Where to start, how about with the staff folding laundry on the dining tables. Gross. Our room was a pets allowed room and only had a child's table and chairs (chair height 14", see photo of my husband looking like a giant) and I was given a really hard time when I requested 2 adult sized chairs from the conference room - which they first denied having, until I walked down the hall and pulled them out of the room - the conference room door was shut and locked the next day. Never did get any type of adult height desk or table. The bed height was 6" higher than standard (to discourage pets from jumping on the bed?) You don't realize how used to a standard bed height you are until it's different.
I can't believe we stayed the whole week. This part of Florida is pretty bad, there really aren't many choices when you are traveling with a dog. Many of the hotels have low income families living in them. A mental health facility and probation offices are right nearby so. . .
I am giving 2 stars - one for the very clean, refreshing and uncrowded pool and the for the brand new WaWa right next door.

The attached bar/restaurant was closed and being renovated when we were here, it appears open now. We did not stay at this hotel this year, but we drove by.

I am really surprised that Howard Johnson's lets a property operate like this with their name on it. I always thought HoJo's were fairly nice for the money, but this one was really lacking. A light blinked eerily on and off all night, every night, even after bringing it to the attention of the desk.

An old indian woman with a cane pounded angrily on the glass door (with her cane) for me to let her in from the pool area and was mad that I wouldn't. Um, if you have your family living in your hotel maybe you should make sure they have keys. I don't know this person, I'm not letting them in, cane or not. I did let the desk know she was there.

Litter, including soiled disposable diapers, remained in the parking lot for days.

And last but not least, the tap water really smelled of rotten eggs/sewerage. I don't know if this is just the usual for this area, as I only stayed here. We had to buy a case of bottled water to brush our teeth and for drinking and dreaded the smell of the shower water. The pool water didn't smell though, so that was nice.

All in all, a very depressing place to stay. Would not recommend.

j

Room Tip: Look at the room you'll be staying in first to see if it
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank winnifred n
Anne H, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Winter Haven FL, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are located in the business/medical district that is close in walking distance or a short drive to any medical facility, restaurant, or shopping. Our restaurant is always open except for Mondays. Our property is undergoing renovations throughout the year. We do not "house" any families and we do not discriminate against anyone who would like to stay at our hotel.

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn - Winter Haven FL

Reviewed 27 April 2017

Staff very friendly. Clean rooms nice size.. they were doing so renovations but nothing to bad.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for your feedback. We are still undergoing renovations throughout our property. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 24 April 2017

I had booked this hotel for three nights in April. When I made good time traveling from New Hampshire to Florida, I called to add-on two nights earlier.After being in the room for a couple of hours, I laid down on the bed. I immediately had bugs itching my arms and saw a bug on the bed. I brought it to the front desk and was told by the woman working that it was a roach. She said that she would have to call Orkin. I told her that I would like to get my debit card refunded for the two first days that I paid her and called Bookings.com to cancel my reservation for the following days. I received a cancellation notice from them. It says cancelled without charge. The followinf morning I called the hotel to speak with management which I was told to do by the desk person, to get my credit. I was told that I was causing trouble and that they were going to call the police on me if I showed up for the refund. . I still don't know if I ever got the monies because it takes some time to show up on my card. The worst experience that I have ever had at a hotel. I wound up paying much more at another hotel, but it didn't have any bugs.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Albert P

I'm sorry to hear you were not satisfied during your stay. We did have Orkin out to run an inspection and found no bugs. I'll speak with the staff to make sure they are conducting themselves in a professional manner and giving out correct information. If you would like to discuss this further, please call me directly.

Reviewed 19 April 2017

Decent room with 'free' wifi. The staff is mostly good, especially Heidi. But the management is horrible. Their billing practices are questionable at best. My CC was, in my opinion, charged inappropriately, and they won't admit it. I'd never go there again.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank 846jeff
Anne H, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Winter Haven FL, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2017

Mr. Petrie,
Thank you for staying with us the past several weeks. As I have gone over your credit card statements with you, the charges for your stays are accurate and complete. The holds to your account have been expired before your checkout date on 4/17. That was up to your credit card company as I've explained. I'm sorry you're not happy with this process, but it is the same process many other hotels use.
I will pass on your comment to Heidi.

Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

I called here after turning around from the other place I had my reservation at, nice clean rooms, bathrooms are up to date, new carpet, nice breakfast and they even have a restaurant. I will definitely stay again. Great customer service.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your response to our property. We are still making many changes throughout the property. We hope to see you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Winter Haven
LEGOLAND Florida Hotel
#1 of 16 in Winter Haven
10.5 km away
Best Western Auburndale Inn & Suites

Been to Howard Johnson Inn - Winter Haven FL? Share your experiences!