Where to start, how about with the staff folding laundry on the dining tables. Gross. Our room was a pets allowed room and only had a child's table and chairs (chair height 14", see photo of my husband looking like a giant) and I was given a really hard time when I requested 2 adult sized chairs from the conference room - which they first denied having, until I walked down the hall and pulled them out of the room - the conference room door was shut and locked the next day. Never did get any type of adult height desk or table. The bed height was 6" higher than standard (to discourage pets from jumping on the bed?) You don't realize how used to a standard bed height you are until it's different.
I can't believe we stayed the whole week. This part of Florida is pretty bad, there really aren't many choices when you are traveling with a dog. Many of the hotels have low income families living in them. A mental health facility and probation offices are right nearby so. . .
I am giving 2 stars - one for the very clean, refreshing and uncrowded pool and the for the brand new WaWa right next door.
The attached bar/restaurant was closed and being renovated when we were here, it appears open now. We did not stay at this hotel this year, but we drove by.
I am really surprised that Howard Johnson's lets a property operate like this with their name on it. I always thought HoJo's were fairly nice for the money, but this one was really lacking. A light blinked eerily on and off all night, every night, even after bringing it to the attention of the desk.
An old indian woman with a cane pounded angrily on the glass door (with her cane) for me to let her in from the pool area and was mad that I wouldn't. Um, if you have your family living in your hotel maybe you should make sure they have keys. I don't know this person, I'm not letting them in, cane or not. I did let the desk know she was there.
Litter, including soiled disposable diapers, remained in the parking lot for days.
And last but not least, the tap water really smelled of rotten eggs/sewerage. I don't know if this is just the usual for this area, as I only stayed here. We had to buy a case of bottled water to brush our teeth and for drinking and dreaded the smell of the shower water. The pool water didn't smell though, so that was nice.
All in all, a very depressing place to stay. Would not recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Howard Johnson Winter Haven is an older property that has been renovated. We offer smoking or non-smoking standard rooms with a 1 King/Queen bed or 2 Queen beds with a mini-fridge, coffe maker, flat screen TV, and free WIFI. The property also has an outdoor pool, complimentary continental breakfast, and a family restaurant located off the lobby area. Howard Johnson is only 3.5 miles away from Legoland, and only a short walk or drive to many shops and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Howard Johnson Inn - Winter Haven FL reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Inn - Winter Haven Hotel Winter Haven
- Howard Johnson Winter Haven
- Winter Haven Howard Johnson