All reviews facilities body mud baths rainforest
Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

A perfect place To stay with the hospitality of Yvonne and Dave they are Like your family. Dave is making good meal with organic Food everyday.!! The rooms are bamboo cabine, and you Will Enjoy a baht after your trekking dAy in the sulfur pool!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2015

It's open on the outside, on the forest,
The guy, Dave is working hard and every time at the guest house cause He has to buy and prepare dinners, etc.
So do not forget to call him or sen an email.
he is inproving every day the guest house, the baths etc.
he is one of the more sympathic and HONNEST guy of the village.
You can ask to only use your hamoc and it's cheap.
You are not invaded by all the american tourists here !
the restaurants is like every where, you do not choose what you eat, it s a mix between meat, fish and vegetables, a bit better than the other places !
Dave is very nice so perfect service !
We are from martinique, the closest island

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed for two nights and hopefully will return in the near future. If your looking to stay somewhere a little different for a reasonable price, then this is the place for you. The rooms are spacious, rustic and clean and with only half walls really make for an experience. The rooms are not overlooked so you can keep the blinds up or down, day or night. One of the big highlights for us was the sulphur springs at the resort. Located in the valley they make for some of the best bathing spots around and the chance to cover yourself in sulphur mud is a must, even for the men. The owners are really helpful and will go out there way to make sure you have everything. The food is the best we had on the island so dinner and breakfast at the resort is a must.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hunt-and-hindson
Reviewed 18 June 2010

We chose this hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I booked 1 night some days in advance and informed the hotel that we would arrive before lunchtime. I booked lunch, dinner and breakfast for the following day as well. When we arrived we were told that lunch would be a bit later as the manager Dave had to go to town to get us some freh fish. We had lunch at 15.30 hours! Sandwiches.... Dave would make it up to us by promising us he would prepare an excellent fish dinner for the evening. We had to be present at 19.00 hours! Dave served us pasta with vegetables and frozen shrimps, followed by icecream.
The next morning we had instant coffee and an omelette. The price we had to pay for the food was much too high: per person 40$ for dinner, 20$ for lunch and 10$ for breakfast.
Although the location is like a dream, the resort looked run down. For our cabin we were promised an hamac, it never came. The bed did not have sheets, just a duvet which was not very clean. Dave talked about feeling in balance, we felt cheated!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank debraakfrance
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I stayed at the Rainforest Shangri-La for two nights with my fiance and I will begin by saying that it was an exceptionally beautiful experience. Nature completely surrounds these well-crafted cabins. We loved the complementary yoga and the ability to roam the valley and bathe in the sulfur tubs. We were given the tip to go for a guided hike (3hours round trip) up a river to a hidden water fall. The scenery on the hike was absolutely breathtaking, the hike itself was challenging but rewarding, and our guide was excellent. It beat the pants off the Emerald Pool - even before the hundreds of cruise-shippers showed up.

The owners made us feel very at home and we typically ate our meals together, like a large family. I thought the rest of the service was great too. The staff is Genuinely friendly and anxious to help. Example : the woman who prepared our room (Pauly) introduced herself within an hour and pointed us in the direction of her cabin where she could be found if we needed anything. The other guest and the two resident guests were also very friendly and provided some stimulating conversation.

Staying here does mean that you need to rough it a bit more than in a conventional hotel. It is true that the "windows" are not enclosed which allows you to fall asleep to all the jungle critters making their music. It also makes any attempt to lock the door futile which wasn't an issue for me. In fact I believe that that layer of trust benefited the interactions I had with the owners and staff. However I could see how this could be an issue for some people and perhaps having a safe or two on the resort would make some sense. Walking back from the cabin after dinner was a little scary the first night even with our flashlight but we pushed on and were rewarded by seeing the brightest stars I've ever seen from land. I wasn't bit by a single bug while I was there, mosquito or otherwise. Fred, one of the owners, told us that the sulfur keeps them away. Maybe I have a strange sense of smell, but I didn't find the sulfur offensive. It wasn't the kind of rotting-egg smell you typically associate with sulfur. I thought it was much more of an earthy, almost incense oder. Now of course the sulfur-rich air corrodes most of the exposed metal in the facilities which can be somewhat unsightly but they function fine and aren't unpleasant to the touch. Most importantly, the structures on the property are well built and sustainably conceived so I wasn't brought down by that constant nagging feeling of contributing to something detrimental to the world. Example: It seems to me that the primary method for supplying running water to the cabins is gravity. No big pumps and plumbing risers here. However this rather primitive system required some attention when we first checked in. Which brings me back to how good the service was: "I will not sleep until you have running water" reassured me and we had enough for a shower that night and by the next day was at full strength.

Staying here was truly a memorable experience I would not trade.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple