“Pizza like you'd find in Jersey”

Vinnie's Market Restaurant and Pizzeria
Price range: US$0 - US$22
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Take my word for it: this is THE place. The wait staff was fantastic, the pizza was delicious, and the floats outrageous. Dine in or al fresco; your choice. Why eat elsewhere? It's what pizza places/soda shops should be like: good eats and welcoming.
Keep up the the good work!!!!

3  Thank crestheaven

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Being from New York, Vinnie's is right there with Patsy's. And the attached soda fountain is an old time replica of those found in the drugstores back in the day!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We went to this restaurant last Saturday and found a sign on the door that it was closed for the summer. It directed us to The Soda Fountain and Vinnie's Pizzeria on Venice Ave. on Venice Island. So we went there. As it is off season, there was street parking in front. The restaurant is a replica of a soda fountain circa 1940s, or earlier, but the sign says they have been there since 1991. There are replica stools at the very long soda fountain counter if you want to eat there as well as booths and tables. As it is not that large inside, I would imagine in season that it can get very crowded and that parking would be a challenge. We ordered the Venice Avenue pizza and sundaes for dessert. I was disappointed in the pizza although it was good (not better than average that I have had in Sarasota County). The crust was not thin as is the case with New York style pizza and the toppings were extremely meager. The pie was cooked just right, not too pale or burnt. It was also very salty tasting, no need to add more. We had a carafe of Pino Grigio which was more than decent at $9. The sundaes (hot fudge and caramel) came in large root beer float glasses. They were very good and plentiful at $4.95 each for single scoop.
Although we came for the pizza, there is an extensive menu of casual food that would appeal to any age group. We looked for their web site online before we went there and, after much searching, managed to find it. There is a menu listed but the prices are outdated. Our pizza was more than listed online. I've had much better pizza elsewhere down here in South County so I don't think I'd return for that but I would to sample something else. The downer is that they close at 9 PM which is very early for a pizzeria on a weekend.
The most outstanding thing was their service. They are staffed by several young people who worked together as a real team. The service they provided was OUTSTANDING. I just wanted to let Vinnie know that. Oh yes, there is really a Vinnie. He stopped in to check on how everything was going. That says something to me about the standards of this establishment.

1  Thank Pavlonia
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Looking for a new Pizza home with Fratellis out of business. Venue is good...strip mall, small restaurant. New (3 weeks) owner is solicitous, waitress nice, additional assistant also pleasant. No craft beer available...pretty much just Budweiser affiliates. Advertised NY style thin crust pizza, and frankly, the crust flavor was better than the usual NY pizza, but I prefer more bread. Not a deal killer. The deal killer was the music...2 guys, guitar and either mandolin or harmonica, too loud, abysmally out of tune in addition to not knowing the music they were trying to play.

How to fix? Get at least 1 craft brew, preferably on tap. Stone IPA and Cigar City are available in the area. If you insist on music, please find competent musicians. Better no music than bad. Offer thicker crust option. Physical plant is fine. Let me know if you change.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

My wife and I chose Vinnie's just to test the local Italian fare and use it as a benchmark. Interesting little place complete with a personable magician on a Wednesday night. Apparently there are musicians on other nights. I started with the calamari appetizer (asked if it was real rather than heated frozen) and it was OK - a little oily probably because the rings were small and collected the oil. The house salad was good and my entree of spahetti and meatballs was g-normous! It included 3 baseball -sized meatballs (a little too salty but tasty). I really liked the slighlly spicy sauce but would have liked more parmesan and a few chilies. The waitress didn't offer. My wife's lasaga was quite different - minimal pasta and lots (and lots) of cheese. A bit too gooey to really taste the sauce. The portion was again more than enough. The waitress was excellent - very nice and willingly brought us take out containers.
If you want a good basic meal in huge quantities this is a good place. We would go back but would order a pizza as they looked excellent!