“'Won't Be Back...Ever!”

Steak 'n Shake
Ranked #34 of 88 Restaurants in Valrico
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Takeout
Description: Steak 'n Shake, a classic American brand, was founded in 1934 in Normal, Illinois by Gus Belt who pioneered the concept of premium burgers and milkshakes. For over 80 years, the company's name has been symbolic of its heritage. The word "steak" stood for steakburger. The term "shake" stood for hand-dipped milkshakes. Gus was determined to serve his customers the finest burgers and shakes in the business. Today, Steak 'n Shake remains the "better burger" leader, serving premium 100% beef steakburgers, hand-dipped milkshakes, thin crispy fries, and more. Steakburgers are made without preservatives or artificial ingredients, topped with fresh produce, and always hand-crafted to order. Other classics include the Frisco Melt, 7x7, Prime Steakburgers, and fan favorite M&M milkshakes.
Reviewed 10 September 2018

We have been eating at this particular location for almost 3 yrs. during our treks to and from Lakeland. During that period, we've had pretty good luck with both the food and service...My wife and I haven't figured it completely out, yet, but we think we have a pretty good explanation WHY the service has gone "completely out the tubes" particularly within the past several months. This comment deserves a brief explanation... The last time we were here in July, service was a little slow and August it was helter-skelter. Our visit here this past Sunday however, was a record breaker half the place had open tables, but we would visibly see 4 Servers busily going about their business...We immediately noted and watched the Line form for the Cash Register as it was unmanned, during our wait (15 min.) and no less than 10 min. after we were seated. We saw several folks simply got tired of waiting to pay their bills and simply walked-out. THIS should have been our que to leave however, we had just gotten out of Church and were hungry for burgers and fries so we WAITED...another 10 min. for our Server to come to our table to take our Order. Our Bad. Beverages and burgers were ordered and we WAITED ANOTHER 20 minutes and were ready to walk out, when another Server brought us our order. Thank God! My wife and I ordered No Cheese double burgers, but cheese came out on'em anyway. Thankful we finally got our burgers, we scoffed a bit about the CHEESE, but nevertheless gobbled down our warm burgers as we were famished... Here's the Finale, which is being forwarded via formal Complaint to Indianapolis.. 'Almost similar to our previous visit a couple weeks earlier just a little different circumstances. Our previous visit, the Server "accidentally" picked up our one, Flyer Coupon for a Meal Deal. That boo-boo cost us an extra $6.50 that shouldn't have. This visit was a "Worse case scenario. I handed our Server, who happened to be now, checking us out at the Register, our Meal Deal coupon with our Check. She looked at the Check looked at the Coupon and rang up our Order for the full price as my Credit card was in the "machine" for payment. The order rang up almost $25 without tip and I said, "What about our Coupon for the Meal Deal?" Her response was, "Oh, I'm sorry Sir, the "machine" has already rung up your payment." I said, "Ok, Can you credit my Credit card for the $6.50 for the two (2) Meal Deals from the Coupon I gave you? She looked at me as tho' she was baffled by my response and said, "No sir, but HERE is your Coupon back you can use it next time." I thought WTH good is that? We get their coupons almost every week. Therefore, with getting screwed out of $13 Real dollars from Steak and Shake Coupons we weren't given credit for my Wife and I agreed, "WE WOULD NEVER BE BACK TO THAT STORE EVER AGAIN...EVER!"

Reviewed 4 February 2018

Love coming here every once and a while. The Buttery Wisconsin burger is great and they make the best Lime-aids. Don't like the thin fries because they always come out Luke warm.

Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

Good breakfasts, very reasonably priced. The only complaint that I have is that they don’t serve grits!
Other than that, the food, (especially the eggs) is always cooked perfectly, something that some restaurants cannot seem to get right. They are either undercooked or overcooked to the point that the fried ones have what I call affectionately “lace” all over them.
All their hamburgers that I have eaten are really good. For the price,
I don’t think you can go wrong with a hamburger & their shoestring fries
for a quick meal.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

We ate there today. You can usually be seated fairly quickly as we were this time. Wait staff is generally very good. Food is about what you can expect from a Steak and shake, burgers, hot dogs, chili. Kitchen is usually pretty quick as they were today.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

Employees were very nice. Cleanliness was definitely missing- floors, tables, prep areas could really use a good scrubbing.

Been to Steak 'n Shake? Share your experiences!