“Scuba ”

Florida Keys Dive Center
Ranked #4 of 26 Tours in Tavernier
More attraction details
Owner description: Scuba diving and snorkel charters, scuba courses and equipment rental, air and nitrox fills
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Scuba Joe makes a great day of diving awesome. I wish he was the boat mate on all the trips. ( Keep up the great work)

1  Thank Pat D
in 11 reviews
"an amazing experience"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 15 July 2017

My wife, son, and I did our Advanced Open Water Certification with Florida Keys Dive Center over the 4th of July weekend.

Zack was fantastic with us. He took the time to go over everything with us and was patient with us as we entered the depths. The boat crew, Captain Carson and Tracey were terrific and made it a fun and enjoyable experience. We did the Horseshoe and Davis Ridge, Eagle, Crocker Canyon, Speigel Grove, and Benwood. Sharks, Rays, Turtles, everything we could have hoped for (yeah, ok, there was learning in there as well). A little nervous making our first deep dive (95' for us, 70' for our son) but it was awesome!

We absolutely would come back again and would recommend them to everyone. Staff all around was very helpful and polite and made the experience one we'll talk about for years.

1  Thank BKDFlorida
Reviewed 13 July 2017

My 70 old father and I went on a 4-hr morning Snorkel/Dive trip. The trip included 4 snorkeler's and around 10 divers. We got to the first site and the divers all jumped in. I asked the mate about where to get the coast guard required snorkel vests, and was informed that we should have gotten them at the dive shop before leaving. She checked the boat and informed me we were "lucky" they had 2 spares on board - one of which did not hold air. What is truly lucky is that I had gone out the previous day with another company and knew the vests were required and how to put them on.

My father tired easily and we were back at the boat long before any divers were surfacing. The mate met us at the back of the boat to grab our fins as we got out of the water. The water was pretty choppy and my father was having a hard time getting his fins off in the water. He kept floating back too close to the bouncing ladder which had me concerned. As he took on a lot of water and couldn't seem to put distance between himself and the boat ladder I honestly started to panic. I yelled to the mate that I needed something to float. It was only on the 3rd time I made that request, that I was told to just grab the rope - the rope I was already holding. My father and I continued to struggle as the mate stood and watched from the end of the boat, but we eventually were able to get ourselves back on the boat.

When we got to the second site, my father stayed on the boat while I went out. He ended up getting sea sick and spending the hour leaning over the side of the boat. What is disappointing is the mate never once checked on him. It was another sick snorkeler on board that checked on him and brought him some water.

I had originally thought the lack of concern/customer service was just because we were snorkelers and the company is more dive focused. Before we left the second dive site, the captain called off names of all the passengers to make sure everyone was on board. At the end he jokingly said "Is there anyone on board that I didn't call your name?". An older woman said yes, and the captain confirmed her name was on the list. His response to her "Someone else must have said 'here' for you." I really hope that they also do a head count, because I would hate to be a late returning diver to a boat that left without me.

2  Thank Angey H
Florida Keys D, Manager at Florida Keys Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

Hello Angey,

thank you very much for posting your review.

First and foremost, you are absolutely correct, the snorkel vests should have been handed to you before the boat left the dock. It would have helped the situation immensely if both spares had properly worked, yes. That, too.

The mate indeed used the word "lucky", she says. We think you do know that she never meant to mock you, but was trying to be cheerful. It is a bit unfair to twist her words we find.

We have discussed the situation you describe of you and your dad in the water with both the Captain and the mate. We do feel that the truth perhaps lies somewhat in the middle of your and their explanation. Please know that both are a very experienced crew who stood watch over thousands of divers and snorkelers in the water behind the boat, who helped the people back onto the boat, and who swam countless rescue swims if necessary. They know when to step in. And believe us when we say if necessary they will since they are lastly responsible for your well being while out there.

We do need to rectify one of your statements though. The Captain was very far from joking when he asked whether there was anyone on the boat whose name he did not call. He followed a standard procedure which that day it proved to be in place for good reason. You would be surprised how many people, unlike you, do not give role call their full attention. And yes, the crew takes a head count.

All in all, we very much agree that a little bit compassion goes a long way, and we are very sorry that you felt it lacked that day.

Reviewed 9 July 2017

We had a marvelous time! We took the PADI eLearning course prior to the trip, then learned our skills (1-day) at Jules' Underwater Lounge (another great place!) and enjoyed four checkout dives with the best scuba instructor, Scuba Joe! If you have teens also receiving PADI certification, ask for Scuba Joe. He was great with our boys and really simplified the complexity of scuba diving for them (all of us)! The dive crew was also great: Captain Carson, Tracy and Zach!

1  Thank jenbkings