“New Owner, Same Location, now "Eduardo's Loko Tacos"...A Different Mexican Grille”
Review of La Yaquecita Mexican Grill - CLOSED

La Yaquecita Mexican Grill
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: A new jewel in the crown of Tavares restaurants. Excellent Mexican food. Realistic, (not expensive) prices, excellent service, family owned. Please check this place out. We love it so much we've been there three times in a month. Lunches start at $4.50 and the dinner menu is so interesting, yet sincerely Mexican.
Reviewed 15 September 2015

As the Sun slowly fell in the West, a certain, apparently, much loved Mexican Food Truck disappeared from the corner of Limit Road and SR441 in Mount Dora and moved North to Tavares. My Son & his lovely girlfriend took me to Dinner (thanks) at this brand new, 'Now Open' location. The Food Truck has apparently lost it's wheels and tires and blossomed into a great, new Mexican Grille. I found them here on TripAdvisor, under 2 different names, posting this restaurant as 'closed'. But, in fact it has been replaced by new owners. If they are 'closed' I ate a great meal this past Saturday night, in a beautifully disguised Ghost Truck in Tavares. "Eduardo's Loko Tacos" is nothing like 'the other' Mexican Restaurants here in this area. You get the feeling THIS is 'Down Home, REAL Authentic, Mexican Cooking'. Not the food you see on the Cruise Ships or served from a gayly decorated facade at high prices. No Fancy names or fancy faire here - though my Chicken Fajita's were a Grand Display right down to large, oven seared scallions skirting the platter. Portions are Monstrous so, plan on attending with an empty stomach. Drinks like, Margarita's, seemed a bit small compared to the competition but, the entree prices, across the board, are WAY LESS so, just order an an extra drink....and smile.
Only criticism I'd levy would be to make your visit a Patient One as it's apparent they are 'adjusting' to the change in Formats. Service was a little slow but, relate to fresh cooked, Not pre-cooked meals, much larger portions and peso prices. Try practicing a little forgiveness, your Server, is just waiting for the Kitchen. It won't be long till you're waiting in-line to get in here. This is "Different Mexican"...this IS Eduardo's Loko Tacos

2  Thank BentleyBoy

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Ate here a while back with family and friends. We had great service. The food was awesome and the prices were fair. Overall a great place if you are looking for a sit down and eat non-fast food mexican restuarant.

3  Thank myshellie123
Reviewed 18 April 2013

If you are in Downtown Tavares and need a good Mexican Lunch or Dinner, this is the place. They have the perfect combination of hot food, quick service and outstanding prices. It is hard to eat all the food they give you so much. I especially like the white sauce they provide for the free chips and salsa. The family that runs the restaurant does an incredible job. Don't miss it if you are in the area.

2  Thank AlanJ6
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised. Food tasted authentic. Especially liked the soft tacos. Salsa was nice. Tamale was average but everything else was above average. Can't wait to visit again:) b

2  Thank Radigirl
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We were the only ones in the restaurant tonight. Our waiter was so sweet and nice as was the waitress. The chips were pretty good and the salsa was good but not great. Quacamole was just terrible. So bad that they didn't make us pay for it. We didn't even comment or ask for them to do it. They simply said it didn't taste good and hence took it off the bill. That was a nice gesture.

My daughter's steak fajita was quite good. The steak was excellent and my daughter confirms that her meal was high quality. My enchilada, rice and beans was pretty bad. It just lacked flavor.

Still, I really like the family that operates the restaurant and my daughter's steak fajita makes me believe that quality is important. I would give it another try but I would try a different dish than what I had.

1  Thank laabis