“Good Greek Food But Service Was Not Great”

Mama's Greek Cuisine
Ranked #19 of 156 Restaurants in Tarpon Springs
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Come experience the rich Greek Culture of the Tarpon Springs Sponge Docks. Mama's provides the finest in authentic Greek cuisine, Live Greek Music, and Entertainment; including Belly Dancing! Mama's Greek Cuisine is where Where The Locals Meet to Eat!
Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

As my husband and I were entering the Sponge Dick, two ladies gave us a menu of the restaurant with a coupon for Free saganaki ( cheese pie). It was specifically for lunch - if you ordered 2 entrees, you would get the free saganaki. Dessert, also, came with the entree. We ordered pickled octopus salad, Gyro sandwich , chicken lemon soup, sausage sandwich and Greek salad. When we showed our Mexican waitress the coupon for a free, saganaki, she said that we had to order from the dinner menu ( more expensive entrees) to get the free saganaki. The food was delicious. The chicken lemon soup was flavorful and loaded with chinks of chicken and penne pasta. The Greek salad was good and had potato salad hidden under the lettuce, as it was supposed to be.
We expected to get a slice of Baklava each. The waitress fVe us a slice of Baklava and a pice of Galactoburicko, sumilar to a custard pie. I asked for Baklava instead and she told me that they “ran out of Baklava”. She was very attentive to the group of 3 men next to our table but not with us. When we were on our way out of the sponge dock, one of the two ladies who gave us the menu and coupon for Mama’ Cuisine asked me how the lunch was. I told her that we did not get the free saganaki and the waitress told us that they ran out of Baklava. She told me to go back to the restaurant with her. She was with Management. We were supposed to get the saganaki with the 2 lunch entree. They did not run out of Baklava, either. She gave me 3 slices of baklava and a big piece of hot saganaki to take home. I told the lady that we were locals and not tourists. I have been eating in Tarpon Springs since 1974. Maria’s Greek Cuisine had the best Octopus salad in Tarpon Springs. We will go back but we will ask for a different waitress the next time.

Reviewed 1 September 2018

Sometimes we need to just get away. Today was that time. Headed to Tarpon Springs, my getaway place. Parked the car and headed to Mama's for a late luncheon. I was not disappointed. I seated myself on the outside patio, Bonnie approached me and recognized me after a break of several months. She knew my beverage order and brought it, asked if I needed a menu, I did not, I know the menu and knew what I wanted. I had the soup and salad combo with my favorite Chicken lemon orzo soup, with an authentic Greek salad, served over potato salad. Great presentation with authentic Greek Cuisine. A really nice break and good food with good friendly service, I will be back soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

Walking around tarpon springs you just know you have to have Greek food. We received a coupon from an employees out on the sponge docks. I wasn't going to go, but everywhere else was crowded. Thank the Lord for that because we went!!
Our waiter (young guy- very Greek) was very very helpful about any questions we had and patient. He brought out the flaming saganaki(showed us how to eat it) and helped us pick a lunch. We ended up getting gyro, souvlaki , and calamari. The food was superb!!! I would definitely go back to Mama's at the sponge docks!!!

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Recently Lynn, my daughter Holly and I stopped for lunch at Mama's. It is now an additional Greek stop on our list of good Greek restaurants in sponge town. We ate on the comfortable patio though they have lots of seating inside too. All of us ordered one of their lunch specials. Oh, the food - no need for a big dinner after lunch at Mama's. Our $9.95 specials included flaming saganaki, a big Greek Salad, a Gyro (Lynn had Souvlaki) and last but not least a large piece of Baklava. Ma Ma Mia - Opa! Our server, Maria was excellent. We look forward to introducing our friends to Mama's.

Reviewed 17 August 2018

Casual dining in Tarpon Springs doesn't get much better than Mama's Greek Cuisine.
We recently made a pilgrimage there to feast on grilled octopus, spanakopita, soup and salad, and were grateful to have made this journey.
Friendly and informal dining is what Mamas is all about.