“Small and outdated”

Konger Tarpon Springs Aquarium
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

This place is very small. There are literally two rooms. Fortunately they are in the process of building a bigger facility and the employees were very friendly. We got to hold an alligator and my son really enjoyed the play area next door. Just needs a lot of TLC.

All reviews
in 15 reviews
"whole family"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Upon walking in you immediately get the sense of the place needing better upkeep. The young woman (The owner's daughter if I understood correctly) was extremely nice and helpful and you could tell she really cares about your experience there and wants to help the kids engage and was very knowledgeable. We walked the place in less than 5 minutes because my toddler has a very short attention span and goes through places like this fast. But even if that weren't the case, the place is extremely small and still would not take more than 20 minutes even if you really soak in each exhibit. It is an extra $1 to feed the stingrays and the nurse sharks which we didn't have cash so we didn't get to experience this unfortunately. The touch tank in the beginning of the aquarium was neat and my toddler did like that where he got to touch a lot of different creatures (turtles, fish, crabs, etc.). And the shark show was actually entertaining. They do a really good job with it. The entrance fee is about $7 which is obviously much less than a bigger aquarium like the Florida aquarium but unfortunately for our family and our toddlers interests this experience was not worth the cost. We were only there for such a short time. If your kids can really spend a lot of time at a touch tank then maybe it would be worth it to you but that is not what we found. They have a play space next door that is included so that was nice but my son was a little young for it so we didn't spend too much time there either. So I can see the value if your kids like the play area (bounce house, small ball pit, and climbing tunnel structure) and the touch tanks. Reading other comments, I am concerned about the animals small tanks and if they were really caught for this entertainment purpose but I don't know if these comments are true. I like to hear at places like this that they are animals that can't be in the wild for some reason (born in captivity, injury, etc.) so I am not supporting capturing wild animals but I do not know what their true practices are as I did not ask. But I did notice that some of the tanks seem small for the number and kind of creatures in them.

1  Thank Luv2TravelNEGirl
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I was VERY hesitant to try this place seeing it from the outside. It was small and in a strip mall area of the Sponge Docks in Tarpon Springs. Once inside, while an old and musky smelling aquarium ... it's a GEM and we can't WAIT to go back. The staff was so passionate about their animal care and knowledge. Each person there is a huge animal advocate in their care and educating everyone on the animals. If you have ANY questions about their care, ask. These animals ALL look EXTREMELY healthy. The majority of them were turned over to the aquarium as unwanted pets. It has a touch pool, where you can touch turtles, crabs, fish ... etc. Then this aquarium with sharks, tarpon, grouper and all kinds of neat sea life. They do shows also. While nothing fancy, the shows are fun and the kids were very engaged. The shark feeding was entertaining. There is also an area where you can touch and feed stingrays. You can also feed nurse sharks. This was really a great experience. And it's now on our MUST see/do each time we are in Tarpon Springs. The best thing I found about this place, is the aquarium uses water from the Anclote River, to fill their tanks. So they don't have to use salt, they're tanks are all natural with water from a salt water river. Keep in mind when you visit, as it's a small place ... but big in heart, knowledge and love for these animals.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

I did not realize, on entry to this facility. that this aquarium is so small. Not only is the facility small but the tanks for the creatures are very small as well. The poor alligator and snapping turtle barely had room to turn around. The fish tank glass had so much film on it that it was hard to see through to the fish. The chance to feed the sting ray and the sharks were very cool but no worth the poor quality of life that these creatures have.

1  Thank O2B20AGN