“A Real Hidden Gem!”

Lupton's Catering & Restaurant
Ranked #1,025 of 2,460 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

We read the previous reviews on Luptons & I'm here to set the record straight! AWESOME FOOD! Dont let the outside fool you. It's not five star for it's appearance but the food was amazing. The inside is quaint & vintage. Hanging planes from the ceiling and wooden booths & tables. 2 food buffets, salad & soup bar, taco bar and dessert & ice cream bar. Food is seriously homestyle! Greens, cabbage, to die for Mac & cheese, sweet cornbread & bisquits, BBQ ribs chix, mashed potatoes...seasoned like grandma cooked it! Soul food at its finest!

Reviewed 4 May 2017

I figure you've read some of the other reviewers comments about Lupton's regarding the outside appearance or possibly the inside, too. You can bet this is not a shiny new deco glass building. A little worn, maybe like your favorite old pair of shoes?
Inside is quaint with the radio controlled airplanes hanging from a cloudy sky painted ceiling. There are also a LOT of military and community oriented awards, commendations, photos and such on most every wall. The Lupton family has been very involved in their community, giving back for a lot of years.

Now, about the food...Southern-style homecooking with plenty of choices. Start out with a decent selection of salad items. Or, as some of their better eaters do, just head right for the MEAT! Lupton's knows how to barbeque, whether it's ribs, chicken or pork. Today I had the ribs and they were juicy, fall off the bone good.

The selection of veggies is guaranteed to please most everyone, too. Greens, beans, black beans, white and yellow rice, good ol' mashed taters, gravy, and on and on and on...
There's even a sign that they'll make you some Fried Green Tomatoes 'on request'. My next visit I'm going to take them up on that offer!

They have rolls of paper towels right there at your table, you'll want them and need them. In here, it is just about mandatory to eat with your hands!

Finish off with a piece of cake, pie, jello or get a scoop of ice cream. Yum.

You'll be guaranteed to get enough to eat. And it's a price bargain, too!

If you've read my other reviews, you may be wondering 'where is her heavenly hottieness? Your fab fiancée? Well, I DO get out once and awhile without her, but I prefer not to. Actually, today I picked up her mother and took her out to lunch. Yeah, my future mother-in-law, and I willingly and knowingly chose to spend time with her??? I know, right? Truth be known, I love being able to spend time with the person responsible for bringing into being the best gift I could ever receive.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

After reading their online reviews we had to try Lupton's.
The outside doesn't look like much, and the inside is a bit of a throw-back to the 1950's-60's Mom & Pop style and has radio-controlled airplanes hanging from the ceiling and several TV's positioned around the restaurant. Although there weren't many customers when we arrived it was still a bit loud (there was a college football game on) but jovial and friendly. The buffet food tables were somewhat confusing to newbies. The salad bar comes after the entree and side dish area. And the ice cream/pies/cakes are over to one corner while the dessert toppings were located at the hot-food buffet near the cobbler.
But I must say after learning where everything was, we were not disappointed one bit by the food! It's a simple-fared, home-cooked tasting Southern/Soul food buffet. With everything from BBQ Ribs to Fried Chicken, Biscuits, Mashed Potatoes and Greens, this small(ish) buffet had more than enough to choose from. And believe me, they know how to cook and serve it! The hostess and waitresses and even the folks in the kitchen were very friendly and welcoming.
The BEST Southern food we've had in ages! We'd definitely recommend it and will take guests there.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

I was told about this place by a friend of mine who really like to eat. First let me say that if you just go by the outside, you probably won't come inside. And even after you come inside, if you look around you might not stay. The place is old and could probably use some remodeling, but if you do decide to stay and eat, you will be glad you did. I had the breakfast buffet and it was excellent! Fresh scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, fluffy pancakes, link and patty sausage, hot biscuits and thick sausage gravy, not that watered down stuff you get at some restaurants. There were other foods on the buffet that I didn’t try simply because I got full and just couldn’t eat any more. Everything was cooked Old School, Southern Comfort style. The buffet was very reasonably priced, and the service was good too. So, ignore the look of the place and give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 11 September 2016

A lot of food to choose from at a reasonable price. Very tasty and you need to be rolled out the door.

3  Thank lorirleung

Been to Lupton's Catering & Restaurant? Share your experiences!