“Average-At Best”

Whaley's Blazin' Bbq
Ranked #967 of 2,460 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 2 February 2016

Another in the long line of poor effort barbecue. Whaleys is take out only in a dirt parking lot littered with wash outs and holes and mud puddles. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Sadly, I rate this place as average, because poor effort is typically what I find in me Florida BBQ travels. They post a big banner that says "5 Sandwiches for $10" That's what we might call a "Tell." I had a pulled pork sandwich with slaw for $5.00. The pork was actually better than average, but heavily sauced. It rests in a warmer cabinet in a pan and they must add a gallon of sauce to it. Then they put more sauce on top. The sauce is a typical, grocery store kansas city style sauce. The slaw was premade from the supplier. Absolutely no effort there, and it was edible, but that's all. They offer something called "Pulled Brisket." I inquired; as I had never heard of this. Of course, that's because it doesn't exist on barbecue menus. Pulled brisket is something you make in a crock pot, not on a pit. Pit brisket is always sliced. It was explained that they slice it, then chop, then pull it. It had no smoke flavor, and I seriously doubt that it's actually brisket. It was very wet and tasted as if it had been soaking in beef broth. You can call that barbecue if you wish, but I'm not. Scores- Appearance C-; Pork C; Slaw D-; Sauce D.

Reviewed 20 July 2015 via mobile

I would say this is not the best BBQ in Tampa but it's not bad if your in the mood and in the area. There is no place to sit and eat so it's pretty much drive up, walk up and order your food. This is pretty much two trailer/out buildings set up roadside. As for the food ribs are fall off the bone but not really that much flavor. No dry or wet rub placed prior to smoking, and heck anything can become fall off the bone if you leave it on the smoker along enough...I don't mean this to come off that harsh but I am trying to be honest. I prefer my BBQ to have some sort of bark on the exterior with a noticeable smoke ring this BBQ is absent of the bark and only a light smoke ring. As for the sides they are just a ok in my opinion.. The beans say out inside individual packaged containers so there room temp, dry, and thick. The macaroni salad was the same lukewarm and bland. I guess in a pinch it fits the bill but if your in the mood for some finger licking BBQ you might want to look elsewhere..

Reviewed 12 June 2015 via mobile

If you like bbq you'll like Whaley's. From pulled pork to brisket and even smokes salmon on saturdays. Cant go wrong.

Reviewed 7 June 2015 via mobile

Cannot go wrong with anything Whaley's has to offer. Their homemade BBQ sauce is amazing. I use it for all my BBQing. Their BBQ chicken sandwich deals are my favorite.

Reviewed 6 January 2015

Drive by this place (Lutz location) a lot and always people picking up food so we were excited to try it. Pleasant people...chose the 10 pulled pork sandwiches (a bargain). Our mistake was to get a little more sauce on the already-sauced pork but nonetheless, they were a bit too sweet/mushy.

We will try again (and review again) and will order the slab ribs.