“Fantastic Ribs, Chopped Pork, Collards, and Mac-n-Cheese”

Big John's Alabama BBQ
Ranked #444 of 2,460 Restaurants in Tampa
Price range: US$6 - US$6
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 9 March 2015

My title says it all, some of the best bbq I've had. I'll take their ribs over Heavenly (Alabama) any day...I know, strong words, but it's true. Collards and mac and cheese are just the way you want them...not mushy, and super rich, respectively. I'm only commenting on the items I had, but I can't imagine the other choices aren't just as good.

Reviewed 3 March 2015

I was very hungry and tired and stopped in to get a combo sandwich of pork and sausage and it was made just as I ordered, on white bread from the inside cut with sauce. I sat there and really enjoyed my sandwich because the taste made my mouth just water from the flavor. The portion of pork and sausage was great and then the tea was so good I felt like getting a second one. It had just the right flavor that satisfied my thirst. What really made me feel great was that the price was just right. Thanks guys!

Reviewed 24 February 2015

On a quick business trip in Tampa, we were looking for a great local restaurant. Big John's BBQ had solid reviews and it is easy to see why. From the smoking-stack seen (and smelled) from the parking lot, Big John's did not disappoint. I am from South Carolina and have been a BBQ fan for many years. There are many different types of BBQ, and the "best" is simply a personal preference. Good BBQ, regardless of the type, is hard to beat. I had the chopped BBQ pork lunch plate and my colleague had the BBQ chicken. Both meats were cooked exceptionally well, with just enough "char" on the outside to keep the smokey flavor inside. The fresh-made sides were fantastic. This is a great, quick in-and-out restaurant that deserves great reviews. I would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 14 February 2015 via mobile

I remember my dad bringing me to this little shack near the river for BBQ. First time I walked in there was Big Mamma, as dad called her. He would tell me to know what I wanted when I got up there or she would send you to the back of the line. I saw her do it to a man in front of us.
Was in town recently and decided to go back. New building same great taste, and same attitude from the staff. Know what you want or to the back you go. By know this, no matter what you order it's gonna be awesome!!

Reviewed 11 February 2015

Just ate there and everything was horrible...completely. The ribs were not good quality, I had bone pieces in my pulled pork, the baked beans were bad, not even close to being good baked beans, and the coleslaw was slop. This is the most horrible experience I ever had. The ice tea has terrible and had a ton of lemon in it, they didn't even have a lid on the ice tea...horrible...you couldn't even drink it, we had to empty it out in the bathroom sink, so embarrassing. The entire dinner was just bad, the BBQ sauce was not then same, taste almost like 100% red hot. Not one person had wiped down any tables and get this....a big sign at check out that says, no refunds!!!!!! Will never ever go back, the old big johns had good food, not the same, they also raised their prices, not worth it, been robbed with a no refund policy.

Been to Big John's Alabama BBQ? Share your experiences!