“So very worthwhile!”
Review of Konan's BBQ

Konan's BBQ
Ranked #181 of 2,461 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: I stopped in on a whim and met the owner. They have been open 8 months he told me. I am not the owner (I had to google to see if there was some kind of web page). Great tiny little place that TA users' love! Its in a neighborhood!!!
Reviewed 4 May 2017

As a life long barbeque fan, I go out of my way to follow a wisp of smoke. At Konan's BBQ, that detour was so very worthwhile. We let the very friendly young men behind the counter tell us what to get: this time, it was ribs, chopped pork, mac n cheese, green beans, baked beans and coleslaw. And they strongly suggested a healthy dose of sauce, which they applied with a real flourish.
Hefty portions of succulent meat, absolutely perfectly smoky: not too heavy and not too shy. Perfect. Ditto on the ribs. There specialty drink is Ms. Brenda's Famous Carver City Pineapple Sweet Tea- as good as the desserts that are on display! Ms. Brenda could have her own stand.
They also have sausage and chicken, and, on a good day, delectable collards. But they do run out, so be prepared to pencil in another visit.
Friendly folks behind the counter, skillful folks at the smoker, return-worthy food- a perfect combination. Will have to make this a regular stop.
Mr. Mike, whom I assume is the pit master, gave me a quick tour of the where the magic happens. Oak and pecan, indirect heat, big smoker- I'm not giving anything away, because it is all on display in the side yard and, like most Lovers of Barbeque, Mr. Mike was generous to his admiring fans. Just never ask how the secret sauce is made- some mysteries are precious.

Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

The food here is excellent!
Best BBQ I've ever had. Service is great, the sides are also fantastic.
They also have a place to enjoy your food.

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

In Tampa for a conference at the Marriott, saw this place on trip advisor and decided to give it a try. Had the ribs yesterday and they were so good I came back for the pork today. Happy I did as both meals were awesome.

Reviewed 3 March 2017

I found them from the smell of the outdoor meat smoker while taking walks through my new neighborhood. There is a larger mini-chain southern/BBQ restaurant nearby that had me excited about living in the area, but Konan's is the favorite...by far. It doesn't hurt that he's a nice guy. The restaurant is buried in the middle of a neighborhood, so you have to look for it to actually find it.

Reviewed 26 February 2017

Yes- I’ve been to all the big BBQ restaurants in Tampa Bay (Rivers, Hog, Mission- these are just nicknames of course) as well as a few smaller ones, and I think this is my favorite. Who would’ve thought such an awesome (yet easily passable) restaurant existed within the shadows of all these high-end businesses in this area? And it still feels undiscovered!

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE FOOD
Our three-meat platter included beautifully smoked and roasted Sausages, Chicken, and Brisket. The Chicken and Brisket were so soft and flavorful on their own- no extra sauces were needed. The Sausage casing had a great bite to it revealing another soft and delicious filling. The Mac & Cheese and Collard Greens were more regular but still worked greatly with the meat. The sauce is mustard-based which I’m normally not a fan of… but it added a great tangy dimension to the meat (although unnecessary).

HAS A COMMUNITY FEEL TO IT
You’ve probably passed Konan’s neighborhood many times on your way to I-Plaza. Do yourself a favor and embrace this area even if it doesn’t look to be the cleanest. The young adults behind the counter were chopping the Meat to Beyonce’s music which was blasting into the simple dining area. While we dined, many people walked in from the neighborhood and took their items to go. I definitely plan to return.

Been to Konan's BBQ? Share your experiences!