“Super Duper Smoked Wings”
Review of Hank's

Hank's
Ranked #189 of 2,461 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 29 January 2015 via mobile

We stopped at Hanks yesterday and had super duper smoked wings. I had cheese grits and a black eyed pea salad. It was great . My dining companions had pulled pork, fried catfish. They also have collard greens which they declared were great. Consistent good food.

1  Thank Robert C

Reviewed 24 January 2015 via mobile

We were invited by a close relative, the place is very clean, nice atmosphere, we are from Peru and so our host wanted to surprise us with a unique BBQ rest.
The attendant was very helpful explaining us the menu.
My Ribs were impecable, thick cut and tender to the point.
Flavor is unique and so we asked what type of wood is being used in their smokers, PECAN wood, this is why flavor is so special.
We will definately visit Hank's each time we are in town.

Reviewed 30 December 2014

Sometimes ya just gotta have good pulled pork and greens! Hanks is a friendly, interesting place that get the food right! It is several miles from my home, but we make a point to get by as much as possible. I've only had carry out, but I'd have no problem eating in...just haven't done so.

Reviewed 7 December 2014 via mobile

The smoked chicken wings were large. They were just off of the smoker delicious. I had the fried green tomato and also the sweet potato fries. My dining companions had the ribs and fried catfish combo. One of them dining companions had the pulled pork and the collard greens. The chicken wings were delicious. The BBQ / smoked wings are treated with a dry rub then smoked. You can tell that this place has many regulars particularly construction types. I will definitely be back here when I'm in North Tampa.

Reviewed 24 November 2014

I was terribly disappointed by the meal I had at Hanks. It was doubly bad for me because I had friends who had described it as "the best fried catfish around," and "BBQ better than Sonny's."

Well, I had the fried catfish, and it was so bad I won't even revisit the place to sample the BBQ.

The catfish itself was breaded in a seasoning so salty that I almost gagged on it. The fillets of fish were so thin that frying made them very tough, and the breading on the two sides equaled being thicker than the fish. I ate about half of the meal and gave up.

For one of my side dishes I selected cheese grits. I have been eating grits all of my life and generally have had cheese grits whenever I have fish. The grits at Hank's were so thick that you could cut them into wedges with a knife. The thickness had nothing to do with the cheese. I have had good cheese grits at such places as Aunt Catfish's near Daytona Beach so I know what good cheese grits look and taste like.

My second side was hushpuppies. They were bad. They were chewy and doughy rather than being light and crisp.

My companion for this visit had brisket which was described as "dry." The turnip greens and fried okra were "mediocre." For a special treat we had ordered fried green tomatoes. They were cut so thin that they were overpowered by the heavy breading.

I'm disappointed to have to give such a bad review for a place for which I had been given a big buildup by a friend.

I do not intend to return.

Been to Hank's? Share your experiences!