“Very Disappointed”

Ranked #1,393 of 2,461 Restaurants in Tampa
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 25 February 2017

We stopped in for lunch today. I had read about the smoked fliet mignon sandwich, but the filet is cooked on the flattop, not smoked so we ordered a pork tenderloin and a brisket. The brisket was not too good. The menu did say it was pulled instead of sliced, but it was really pretty tough and had very little smoke flavor. It was dry, so it had to be smothered in sauce. The pork tenderloin was not good. I asked if this was like an Iowa tenderloin, and I was told it was. On the menu, all the other sandwiches that have cheese noted that. The pork tenderloin did not, so I was surprised that it was covered in provolone. So it was not on the menu, and that's probably enough to get kicked out of Iowa to try it. I am allergic to cheese, and my wife doesn't like it. And a large portion of Tampa cannot eat meat and cheese in the same dish, so this is poor planning. I went to the cook, and she said the owner liked it that way and gave me a steak knife to try and scrape away the cheese instead of just making a new one. What is too bad is that of the tiny taste I took of the pork before we threw most of it away, it tasted pretty good. I'd give the brisket two stars, and maybe even two stars for the pork despite the cheese (and it not being on the menu where it was for every other sandwich), but not to fix the sandwich is a cardinal sin.

Reviewed 29 February 2016

A great place to get a fantastic sandwich. They grill and smoke meats and fish, awesome quality and friendly service.

1  Thank John_Go_Bucs
Reviewed 27 December 2015

If you're in south Tampa stop in. The smoked filet mignon sandwich is excellent. When you park be prepared to be engulfed by the sweet aroma of meat on a smoker. Also providing smoked meats to go and other smoker and barbecue related items. You're paying more than fast food but you will leave satisfied and planning your next visit.

1  Thank Russ H
Reviewed 4 August 2015

I realize this is low key place, but we had a bad experience for dinner. We felt like some sort of chaos materialized during our visit because staff seemed to disappear. Once we put in our order, we waited a long time for our food and actually watched another couple behind us leave because they grew tried of waiting on someone to take their order (we were the only two sets of customers in the place). Our food was set on the counter quickly and staff walked away again. My fish sandwich was not good and we could never find anyone at the counter to let them know that some of the fountain beverages were not working properly. Our food was way overpriced for what we received!

Reviewed 25 July 2015

The food at Robert's is melt-in-your mouth awesome. Ran by to grab some dinner and decided to eat-in. The place is a dive on the outside and looks it inside as well, but is clean and the smell of the meats cooking makes your mouth water.

The wife and children had the brisket and ribs and i had the grouper sandwich (and an amber jack sandwich to go). They were scrumptious! The sides were very tasty as well. The staff was busy preparing catering orders and orders for walk-in/carry-out but were friendly. Highly recommend it for carry-out or, a quiet sit down (if you don't mind the dive feel--we didn't mind it and enjoyed our meal).