“Great Cuban coffee”

Latin Xpress Cafe
Ranked #332 of 863 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Cuisines: Cuban
Reviewed 24 October 2014 via mobile

While visiting my daughter at FSU I started craving a good Cuban coffee. We found this gem and were very happy. The cafe con leche was perfect and served at a great temperature. The cortaditos were larger than we usually get in South Florida and were also delicious. We had just eaten breakfast so we did not sample the food or the guava pastries, but judging by the coffee I will assume the food would be good as well.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

The mojo pork and ropa vieja are amazing here. While I love the empanadas and tostones, they're often saturated with oil, so I don't make it here as often as I might. The service is great and prices are reasonable. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the mood for Latin food.

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The meat on the cuban sandwich was freshly sliced. it could have cooked a minute longer because cheese wasn't quite melted, it was still delicious. The server was quick to tell us what they were out of and about their specials. Good place for lunch. Atmosphere is lacking

Reviewed 26 April 2014

The food was pretty good but very dry. I had the padomilla with beans and rice. It was a lot to eat but I would have liked some sauce or gravy. I would probably not go back. Service was good and staff nice

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I love Cuban food. I got a Living Social Deal ($10 for $20 meal), so even though it's across town, what the heck. And the reviews on TripAdvisor were pretty good.

This is on Pensacola Street across from the Publix center is a strip center that has a Vietnamese restaurant, a tax preparer, and a nail shop.

On entering, I notice it's clean and pleasant. The server was very nice, took our drink orders and came back with them shortly.

My wife ordered Bistec a la Milanesa and got the response: "Sorry, we're out of that tonight."
I ordered Lechon Asado. The server called into the kitchen "How about the pork?" The shout came back "Nope." She said to me: "Sorry, we're out of that tonight, too." Well, one more try and I was going to be out of there. But did I say I like Cuban food?

We finally hit on a combination they had. My wife got the Bistec Empanisado, a breaded cut steak. She ordered it with the sweet plantains and black beans. This was like a mediocre chicken-fried steak. Plantains were not very sweet (not ripe enough), and the beans were from the can, I think.

I got the ropa vieja (shredded beef in a mild sauce), red beans, and yellow rice. It was all just okay and pretty bland. Neither plate was hot, just lukewarm. I think every restaurant should heat their plates to present the food at its best.

The total bill was $24, but the deal cut $10 from that.

Wow, I was really hoping for a great Cuban meal, but this wasn't it.

1  Thank goodeatsed